• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

hook sizes

Colin Bridger

I may be completely missing some thing here, it wouldn't be the first time. I have allways understood that hook sizes were measured from the point across to the shank, which is the gape of the hook, and the shank could be variable in length. If that is a correct assumption what is a wide gape? surely a wide gape 12 is an 11?

ATB
Colin

Are hook sizes measured because it would appear to me that its down to the discretion of the manufacturer/tackle company to state what ever they like on the packet.

Biggest anomaly I've checked on being; a size 18 Korum S4 being exactly the same dimensions as a size 12 Drennan Carbon Feeder.

In answer to your question, a wide gape hook must be another (recently popularised) way of describing a short shank hook, though that would imply there is a dimensions standard for hook patterns, which clearly there ain't!

Last edited:
ignore the size on the packet and go in to your tackle shop and have a look first hand at the actual size.

I think thats the Standard Colin, but like Colin says all companies seem to apply different criteria when sizing, so Daves advice is the way to go, if the size looks right for what you want use it, and ignore the size on the packet :)

Ian.

Does it really matter??

Matching the hook size to the bait size usually results in a decent hook hold....

Paul

Back