• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook Sharpening??

Shaun Nurse

Hi, having gone to my bag again and seen loads of hooks in my "unsure whether sharp enough" section, does anyone sharpen their hooks and if so how do you? I have so many that only had one use and turned slightly, or caught and blunted that it would be good to recycle them. I have tried on a chissel stone and my dart sharpener, but am not convinced they are sharp!
Any recommendations or ideas greatfully received....

Throw them away Shaun. Why risk the loss of a good fish for the sake of a hook that would probably cost 40 pence. I always check the point of the hook EVERY cast on the fingernail. If it dont dig in replace it. Not worth it in my opinion. :)

I use the Jag vice and file all the time even on new hooks which if you look at them through a glass are normally ****.

I also use a hook sharper as i'm always checking the hook point after every cast i've made ;) i have sharped hooks that the point has gone over and on the next cast hooked and land barbel :), nothing wrong with saving money on hooks when they cost a arm and a leg to buy :rolleyes: well worth carying one in your pocket ;)

Wouldn't like to be on the bank without my hook sharpener, i use a Fox one - on some sections of the rivers i fish you would be replacing the hook/hooklink every other cast without one!

Throw them away Shaun. Why risk the loss of a good fish for the sake of a hook that would probably cost 40 pence. I always check the point of the hook EVERY cast on the fingernail. If it dont dig in replace it. Not worth it in my opinion. :)

??? Why do this when for the price of a file you can re-sharpen them? Since I've had my Jag file it's already paid for itself and more in money saved on hooks.... Like you if it's blunt I won't cast it in, but unless it's really beyond repair I sharpen it again, then cast it back in ;)

Hook sharpening.

I always use the fine diamond abrasive blade on my leatherman wave, it is the bees knees for putting a fine point on hooks, only problem is that now I have seen the Jag hook vice, I think I am going to need one.
So David Hall, it is your fault that I need to shell out for one....;)

Dave

I knew a number of carp anglers who would never consider casting out a brand new hook without sharpening it first, let alone touching up an old one. They used jewellers files to completely re-model the point. The damned things would stick in you if you so much as stared at them too hard :D

Cheers, Dave.

I always use the fine diamond abrasive blade on my leatherman wave, it is the bees knees for putting a fine point on hooks, only problem is that now I have seen the Jag hook vice, I think I am going to need one.
So David Hall, it is your fault that I need to shell out for one....;)

Dave
go for it.......:D

Bringing up last years post. I think its a real edge in angling, i sharpen all my hooks now straight out the pack amd a sharpen up

I knew a number of carp anglers who would never consider casting out a brand new hook without sharpening it first, let alone touching up an old one. They used jewellers files to completely re-model the point. The damned things would stick in you if you so much as stared at them too hard :D

Cheers, Dave.

totally agree :)

The Jag vice seems quite expensive when the old Matchman hook tyer will do the trick :)

Iv used the ezee lap one also worth taking a look at is Taska blinds jag by a mile in my opinion ;).

A hook sharpener is essential equipment on the rocky Trent where I do most of my barbelling.Without one I would spend most of my angling time on the bank in the workshop re-tying hooks.

I use one of these................Fox Diamond Hook Sharpener | HarrisSportsmail.com which I find excellent,the groove is a nice feature and helps when sharpening the point.

I find a magnifying glass unnecessary and just push the point along my thumbnail,you can feel it it's turned over.

On a Trent session yesterday I had to sharpen a blunt hook a couple of times that had been dragged through rocks.It worked as I hooked and landed all 8 takes,not losing one fish. ;)

Back