• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

hook lengths

Wayne Pevy

been using flouro with no problems,apart from expense.thinking about preston powerline reflo,as lower diameter and much cheaper.would appreciate some experienced advice please:)

I think thats a pre stretched line which is why you have a lower diameter. If you like using fluorocarbon try the Wychwood one it.s not so expensive. I've been using it for about five years now and not had one problem.It is more supple than most but I like that. This is a link but you might find it even cheaper and thats for a 50mtr spool

Wychwood Fluorocarbon – Glasgow Angling Centre

Try Drennan Fluoro ........cheap as chips and well reliable with the correct knot. Before anyone asks which is the best knot it is the one that you are able to tie that doesn't break.............

just a quick tip for fluro hooklinks in case some dont know.
just pull the link between your finger and thumb a few times to warm it slightly and then it will stretch a bit and be more supple and limp:) this is great for getting rid of the springy problem with some fluros

just a quick tip for fluro hooklinks in case some dont know.
just pull the link between your finger and thumb a few times to warm it slightly and then it will stretch a bit and be more supple and limp:) this is great for getting rid of the springy problem with some fluros

That's a good tip cheers John

I used preston reflo all year and had many more hookups as it was low and clear, cannot wait to see if this comming summer will be the same as last year was fantastic fishing.

Sean

I've used Powerline for years and it's a great hooklength material. Low diameter, supple and with a bit of give in it unlike many pre-stretched lines. On the middle Trent I generally opted for the 0.21mm using 10lb Big Game mainline. That was as high as it went a few years ago but they've added a 0.24 and a 0.26mm to the range. I've tried these but found them a little too stiff for my liking. Before they were released I used Ultima Power Match in higher breaking strains 10lb 0.22mm and 12.5lb 0.25mm and still use these today. It's just as good as Powerline but even cheaper, £3.90 delivered to your door on e-bay. ;)

Thanks for the tips,think I will give the power line a go and see how i get on,may have less trouble tying the fiddly hair rig loop as well;)

Iv used the powerline in the past was reliable on the smaller rivers but not up to the job on the trent. However now moved on to fox camotex soft!!!

Wayne, preston powerline is good for hooklinks imo, and i have used it down to 0.15 for barbel in clear swims, when using small hooks and maggots. BUT would not recommend using this lower diameter line if fishing near snags. I have used the 0.21 in a rocky swim and lost fish.

Powerline is very stretchy compared to other low diamater lines. I use Gamakatsu Super G Line in 0.22, works well for me. You have to keep checking it however, as it will give quicker than other lines. Ive been using this stuff for years for pole fishing for carp in matches, it's my choice for bagging up.

Very true john, the powerline has got more stretch than most of the other brands of pre-stretched lines. I used it as a match angler in diameters down to 0.13, and i landed some good size carp on the pole.

Dave

Choice of line is very much a personal thing and it's made all the more confusing by the vast choice available to the modern angler. I've seen far too many anglers losing fish when using Powerline - as far as I'm concerned, it won't take the shock loads that barbel can impart, particularly in floodwater or in snaggy swims. However, I use Powerline exclusively for all my pole fishing where the elastic acts as a shock absorber. For what it's worth, I use Ultima Power Plus for all my barbel fishing i.e. float and feeder fishing.

Choice of line is very much a personal thing and it's made all the more confusing by the vast choice available to the modern angler. I've seen far too many anglers losing fish when using Powerline - as far as I'm concerned, it won't take the shock loads that barbel can impart, particularly in floodwater or in snaggy swims. However, I use Powerline exclusively for all my pole fishing where the elastic acts as a shock absorber. For what it's worth, I use Ultima Power Plus for all my barbel fishing i.e. float and feeder fishing.

its belting line, i have used this over a long time and cannot fault it and very cheap in bulk spools. As with any line test knots that give you the most strength, a grinner may work on one line and not another. my standard test is a granny and a pull tight if it passes this then i will look further. have a look at the korum expert line, not used it so far but passed all my knot tests with flying colours.

Back