• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook Lenghts

Lee Barlow

Does it really make a big Difference ?

How do you choose your hook lenght ?

I just usually make mine up before hand at home usually 4ft I've never made any up over 5ft and seam to do well with these.
I've read of anglers using 3/6" I doubt I'd even consider that even if the waters like a mud pool
When the waters Gin clear I've not gone over 5'

Think ill experiment with different Lenghts see what works best

Would appreciate a bit of detail on this

Iv had a double on a 8" hooklength so to me personally i dont believe it matters as much as what people make out!

Cheers Steve it's a decent read that
When I started barbel fishing only 2 seasons ago it's exactly what I was lead to believe ( long hook Lenghts ) makes sense to me really to keep them away from the feeder/lead & mainline but like I say I do shorten back If the water conditions change ( after a rise ) or the fish are feeding quite confidently I always use Fluro and sometimes wonder what it acts like in a decent flow

Four foot hook lengths?? What on earth for? To me 15 inches is a long hook length and I have caught hundreds of barbel including many doubles on 9-12 inch hook lengths. For in line maggot feeder the hook length may even be as short as 3 inches.

The shorter the better especially with semi-fixed leads.A double barbel can be over 30 inches long so as it moves about the swim I'm sure it knows its being fished for as regards leads and feeders spooking said fish.The main priority should be how effective the rig is at pricking surely?

Four foot hook lengths?? What on earth for? To me 15 inches is a long hook length and I have caught hundreds of barbel including many doubles on 9-12 inch hook lengths. For in line maggot feeder the hook length may even be as short as 3 inches.

To keep the bait as far away as possible from the point that the main line enters the water down to the lead/feeder. It can reduce line bites which can spook the fish. It can also avoid the need for a backlead if you are concerned about fish touching the line. Not always necessary of course but sometimes it can really help I have found.

Back leads do exactly that though Howard. The longer the hook length the less obvious the bite usually as the fish may pick up the bait undetected and may even swallow the hook before any registration is noticed. Not saying this will often happen and each to their own, but I have never felt a really long hook link would be an advantage. I have occasionally used one about 20 or so inches for maggot feeder but usually find a foot or less is adequate.

Last edited:
I have found that backleads just won't work in many swims and can be more trouble than they are worth. On the Wye when the level has been low, I have used 3-4ft hook lengths and bites have been the usual clonking wraps, pulls etc. this is on a running rig always with a relatively tight line. In daylight hours and using a feeder, extending the hook length has brought bites.

It does just depend on the circumstances as always and as you say, what people find that works best for them.

All the best.

I can see the point you are making on a bigger river Howard, a back lead would be very difficult to use. Interesting thread.

Back