• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook for Snag Fishing

As someone has mentioned how far away from snags do you fish I would like to make it clear that I wouldn't drop my lead right amongst some sunken tree roots,sharp rocks or other obstructions,that would be foolhardy and even with conger gear would result in lost fish.

Yes I was hoping Dave Burr would offer a bit of his wisdom as to how far from a barbel's sanctuary is "sporting" but (not unsurprisingly) he has opted to abstain.

Last edited:
I didn't answer the 'how far' as it is a mute point. I mainly fish the Wye and am amongst snags virtually all the time I am fishing.

The point I was making was the distinction between fishing where there are snags and dropping a baited hook deep into an area of sanctuary - like Matt Hayes did. This is not a practice that should be encouraged as it has detrimental effects on the fish both in damage to individuals and to their overall stress levels - which, in turn, effects everybody that fish's there.

To glibly talk about 'snag fishing' gives a false impression to some less thoughtful anglers but I think that the thread has dealt with that now.

Back