• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook choice

Another vote for Pallatrax and Bank Tackle.

I tend to buy "used" job lots from eBay, so a lot of hooks for your money even if a few are duff (although more often than not most of them are unused) and I've tried most of them.

More generally, and straying a little bit off topic, I have noticed a HUGE turn in tide over the last couple of years when it comes to the consensus about Nash products. Loads of carp anglers are ditching them in favour of other companies and there's been a lot of negativity about them on various forums. I've also seen it noted by eagle eyed followers that Carl and Alex - who were sponsored by them and eventually worked for them - completely ditched all Nash products when they quit, and they (Nash) now seem to be the punchline to a lot of jokes about poor and unreliable tackle. Never having used any Nash product (at least as far as I can recall), I don't know how true all that is in reality, but when you see a lot of people saying the same things you have to wonder.

Almost completely off topic, Kevin Nash seems to be the go-to expert whenever there's a national news item about water quality.

In my experience nearly every big tackle manufacturer produces it's fair share of brilliant and pony products, Nash are no exception. Only natural when you are producing such a diverse array of gear.

In my experience nearly every big tackle manufacturer produces it's fair share of brilliant and pony products, Nash are no exception. Only natural when you are producing such a diverse array of gear.
I agree. It must be tempting when you get such a 'name', when you're so strongly 'in vogue', to cut corners ...and rely on your name to sell products. There comes a point when it's fashionable for the herd to use a certain brand ... and then a point when the reverse becomes true. It becomes a thing of pride to announce that you don't/won't/wouldn't go anywhere near such a brand. 'Fashion' is a poor guide to quality IMO.
N.b... love my Nash rods, but they are 20 years old!

Absolutely Joe, although I don't think I've ever quite known anything like the large-scale bashing Nash have been getting for the last few years. It's made even the perennial Korda haters seem positively reasonable!

It will be Fox next week and Preston group the next.
Quality slips as products are made in a more cost effective manner. Despite what people say fox rods ain’t a patch on what they were and they’ve never been able to build a good reel that I can remember.
I know very little about Nash for the simple reason being it’s generally too heavy on the price tag for me to consider. The new pinpoint hooks are the only Nash product I buy and will continue to buy because they are nothing short of excellent. A lot, if not most conventional wide gape, turned point hook patterns are pretty much the same. Baring 1mm here and 1 degree there they are fairly universal and not a lot between them. The reason I like the claw so much is that it’s a design all on its own. A risk if you like to try them and step away from proven designs. Worth the risk mind as that design difference is quite noticeable with just how well the bottom of the hook stays in compression with the lip. It’s something you cannot achieve from a curve.
I still strongly believe hook pulls with barbel should be a rare occurrence despite any hook pattern used. If that’s not the case there are other factors I’d be looking into first. If your dropping the odd one or two then yeah perhaps a small change in hook pattern could make a difference as the chances are you’ve got everything else well covered.

Last edited:
Simple answer, yes, but of course, you are right mate, there are lots of factors involved in hookpulls but I would say the hook is the most significant variable.
Obviously there are other variables which would come into consideration. I presume people know how to play fish correctly- if someone is using a poker rod and is trying to get the fish out of the sea then hookpulls would be more common.

But whem someone starts a thread saying im loosing barbel i think it might be 'hook pattern X' what would you recommend instead? Then it would be a bit disingenuous of someone to suggest they didnt play the fish correctly, as opposed to suggesting a different hook (im not suggesting anyone who starts these threads cant play fish correctly).

When barbel fishing: bad luck aside, if someone has a powerful but soft rod, strong tackle and knows how to play them and is still getting constant hookpulls then the first thing to look at would naturally be the
Simple answer, yes, but of course, you are right mate, there are lots of factors involved in hookpulls but I would say the hook is the most significant variable.
Obviously there are other variables which would come into consideration. I presume people know how to play fish correctly- if someone is using a poker rod and is trying to get the fish out of the sea then hookpulls would be more common.

But whem someone starts a thread saying im loosing barbel i think it might be 'hook pattern X' what would you recommend instead? Then it would be a bit disingenuous of someone to suggest they didnt play the fish correctly, as opposed to suggesting a different hook (im not suggesting anyone who starts these threads cant play fish correctly).

When barbel fishing: bad luck aside, if someone has a powerful but soft rod, strong tackle and knows how to play them and is still getting constant hookpulls then the first thing to look at would naturally be the hook. Then maybe hair length (too long is a problem with barbel).

All I know is that Pallatrax users dont start 'Im suffering hookpull' threads 😁

Generally barbel only feed/bite in a certain way so its not like carp fishing where you need rigs with different mechanics for different situations. Once you've got your hook to hookbait/hair length ratio correct you are sorted, just need to find 'em.

ATB
Ash your clearly someone with alot of time on there gands
It will be Fox next week and Preston group the next.
Quality slips as products are made in a more cost effective manner. Despite what people say fox rods ain’t a patch on what they were and they’ve never been able to build a good reel that I can remember.
I know very little about Nash for the simple reason being it’s generally too heavy on the price tag for me to consider. The new pinpoint hooks are the only Nash product I buy and will continue to buy because they are nothing short of excellent. A lot, if not most conventional wide gape, turned point hook patterns are pretty much the same. Baring 1mm here and 1 degree there they are fairly universal and not a lot between them. The reason I like the claw so much is that it’s a design all on its own. A risk if you like to try them and step away from proven designs. Worth the risk mind as that design difference is quite noticeable with just how well the bottom of the hook stays in compression with the lip. It’s something you cannot achieve from a curve.
I still strongly believe hook pulls with barbel should be a rare occurrence despite any hook pattern used. If that’s not the case there are other factors I’d be looking into first. If your dropping the odd one or two then yeah perhaps a small change in hook pattern could make a difference as the chances are you’ve got everything else well covered.
Thanks pal .

Pallatrax the Hook for me , once there in they ain’t coming out without forceps

Unfortunately Pallatrax have discontinued The Hook. Very disappointing as they were a great seller and a hook I’ve used a lot. Apparently they are focusing on their Gripz hook moving forward...

cheers,

Andy

Bonkers - why do angling suppliers always drop their best products?

I wonder if they’re trying to make a statement regarding the Gripz...That the new idea of having a grippy barbless hook point surpasses the performance of a barbed hook so why continue making a barbed hook?

I’m going to miss being able to stock The Hook that’s for sure. Mind you I have been using the Gardner Wide Gape Talon Tips more recently without any issues.

Gripz are my go to hooks for smaller species such as dace and roach. For me a size 16 is the perfect hook for gudgeon which I am obsessed with at the moment. They don't seem to wriggle free like they do with other barbless hooks but it's probably all in my head. As I have more chance of winning the lottery than catching an Upper Thames barbel I believe I won't experience that sickening feeling of losing that once in a lifetime fish at the net if I am using The Hook. It's bound to happen now...

Unfortunately Pallatrax have discontinued The Hook. Very disappointing as they were a great seller and a hook I’ve used a lot. Apparently they are focusing on their Gripz hook moving forward...

cheers,

Andy
The gripz hooks are just as good. Just a bit more expensive and a lot easier to remove than a barbed hook.

I was using a different hook at the beginning of the season, had two hook pulls, changed to gripz and had no pulls since. Over 40 barbel to 12lb on them.

cheers,

Andy
Good job I have quite a few left, can’t understand why

It’s not bonkers it makes sense.
the Pallatrax the hook is just a copy of many other almost identical wide gape carp hooks out there.
from memory I think the Gardner talon tips are exactly the same hook as is one in the ESP range so there really is nothing to worry about regarding getting that hook pattern it just might cost you another quid.
the gripz is something completely different and unique and that’s exactly where I’d be focusing my concentration also if I was them.
Who the hell wants to get into the hook market with a bog standard being done before product that can only be sold on price initially then angler confidence after that. Far too many flooding that game already.
like Andy said swap to the Gardner its practically the same hook
4BD468BE-8E6D-43D0-9210-B44C6A58D0D0.jpeg
05C8AF0A-FFCE-4D1D-8BB8-303F1F177F3B.jpeg

What Peter says.

Pallatrax the Hook. Size 8. Get these (from the BFW shop) and forget about hookpulls. Literally forget about them.

The late, great Tony Miles used these and he used to pride himself on never loosing fish to hook pulls.
Thats reassuring to know as I've just ordered some 8's and 10's and 4's.
I have had a number of hook pulls this season but I think I know why now!

It’s not bonkers it makes sense.
the Pallatrax the hook is just a copy of many other almost identical wide gape carp hooks out there.
Oh Richard - you of all people should know it's not the gape in this instance but the barb. If you get out your Helix protractor and measure the angle of the barb on all the hooks in a packet you will find most hooks including your favourite 'Claw' have a variance of 0.072 degrees where as all the hooks in a 'The Hook' packet will have one of 0.00021 degrees. If you then get out your Kibro microscope you will notice immediately on a molecular level the length of the barb on 'The Hook' is far more consistent than any other hook. Other variables include the weight of the barb, its mass, density, scent, colour, how it's finished, etc. When it comes to barbs Pallatrax are in a league of their own as they are with the all important typography on the packaging. Obviously, metallurgy can be thrown into the melting pot but I won't dwell on that suffice to say it's a well known secret in the trade that Pallatrax barbs are formed using rare ores from various meteorites they have in their labs. Naturally, there are many imitators but there is only one 'The Hook'. On the business side it's not wise to put all your eggs in one basket.

Oh Richard - you of all people should know it's not the gape in this instance but the barb. If you get out your Helix protractor and measure the angle of the barb on all the hooks in a packet you will find most hooks including your favourite 'Claw' have a variance of 0.072 degrees where as all the hooks in a 'The Hook' packet will have one of 0.00021 degrees. If you then get out your Kibro microscope you will notice immediately on a molecular level the length of the barb on 'The Hook' is far more consistent than any other hook. Other variables include the weight of the barb, its mass, density, scent, colour, how it's finished, etc. When it comes to barbs Pallatrax are in a league of their own as they are with the all important typography on the packaging. Obviously, metallurgy can be thrown into the melting pot but I won't dwell on that suffice to say it's a well known secret in the trade that Pallatrax barbs are formed using rare ores from various meteorites they have in their labs. Naturally, there are many imitators but there is only one 'The Hook'. On the business side it's not wise to put all your eggs in one basket.
Well Edward, that post answers a lot of my questions. I'll sleep easier tonight. Many thanks.
N.b... I reckon too many recent blanks has resulted in some 'tackle navel gazing'. 🤓

Yeah thanks for that Ed I’ll drag out the melting pot and gather up some chemical analysis on the hooks. Unfortunately I can’t measure barb angles as the manufacturer left that part off my hooks. Tight wads🤣
On the business side it’s equally as unwise to throw money at a hook pattern that’s already flooding the tackle shops in Many different coloured packets. People Obviously don’t know About all these benefits you mention probably because they couldn’t fit all that information on the back of the packet 🤣

cheers,

Andy

Thanks for the heads up, Andy. Ive ordered a load off the shop, if you can get any size 4s or 2s please let me know.

Back