• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hook choice

Ditch the fangs they are great hooks but those straight points won’t stay sharp for long and swap to the claw.
The pin point claw is all I ever use now and they’ve cost me 1 fish in come November it will be 2 years
They hold onto fish like you wouldn’t believe due to the crease in the bottom of the hook

I needed to order some tackle from the UK and on this recommendation added some Nash pinpoint claw hooks.

Yesterday I had my first two sizeable river carp on these....

Carp scaled Sept 20.jpg

Carp 19.5.jpg

First I guessed at 14lb, second was weighed at 19.5lb

I was 50 yds downstream of where I started with each fish, up to my chest in the weedbed to net these fish. No pretence at careful playing so I was grateful these Claw hooks are full strength! Hook was size 7 by the way.

This river swim is brutal!

The Garden carp hole.jpg

Ditch the fangs they are great hooks but those straight points won’t stay sharp for long and swap to the claw.
The pin point claw is all I ever use now and they’ve cost me 1 fish in come November it will be 2 years
They hold onto fish like you wouldn’t believe due to the crease in the bottom of the hook
Hi Richard
I got myself some of the claw hooks , was impressed with how sharp they are. I found however that the hair was getting wrapped around the shank of the hook
Hi Richard
I got some of the claw hooks, I was impressed with how sharp out of the packet they were. I found however that the bait was getting wrapped around the shank. I used the knotless knot , never had it before on other hooks. Have you noticed this at all ?

Hi Richard
I got myself some of the claw hooks , was impressed with how sharp they are. I found however that the hair was getting wrapped around the shank of the hook

Hi Richard
I got some of the claw hooks, I was impressed with how sharp out of the packet they were. I found however that the bait was getting wrapped around the shank. I used the knotless knot , never had it before on other hooks. Have you noticed this at all ?
Unfortunately this is the case with non aggressive hook patterns and longer hairs. It’s happened to me a couple times too with them.
ways around it .... more turns on the knott, heat shrink tube, a paste rap, pva nuggets, reduce hair length.
i actually just put 3 more turns on the knot with these than I used to (11-12 turns) and this cured the problem for me. I don’t do anything else that I’ve mentioned above
My hairs ain’t particularly long 2-3mm gap between the bottom of hook and top of bait free hanging.
It does happen though with this style of hook. If it’s causing you lots of problems then I’d look at a more aggressive hook or set up. Possibly a kicker of some sort.

Unfortunately this is the case with non aggressive hook patterns and longer hairs. It’s happened to me a couple times too with them.
ways around it .... more turns on the knott, heat shrink tube, a paste rap, pva nuggets, reduce hair length.
i actually just put 3 more turns on the knot with these than I used to (11-12 turns) and this cured the problem for me. I don’t do anything else that I’ve mentioned above
My hairs ain’t particularly long 2-3mm gap between the bottom of hook and top of bait free hanging.
It does happen though with this style of hook. If it’s causing you lots of problems then I’d look at a more aggressive hook or set up. Possibly a kicker of some sort.
Cheers Richard
I thought I was doing something wrong , I will play around with them a bit more ,

Hi Richard

I use a small piece of silicone tube on the shank, holds the bait where you want it. Also a good indicator if your hookbait has been meddled with as the silicone will have slid towards the eye if a fish has mouthed the bait 👍

I use a small piece of silicone tube on the shank, holds the bait where you want it. Also a good indicator if your hookbait has been meddled with as the silicone will have slid towards the eye if a fish has mouthed the bait 👍

Hi Rob
I was using them again yesterday , and tried them with a kicker like Richard suggested and it seems to work out well, only wrapped around once all day, but I will also try the rubber tubing as well , cheers wayne

Hi Rob
I was using them again yesterday , and tried them with a kicker like Richard suggested and it seems to work out well, only wrapped around once all day, but I will also try the rubber tubing as well , cheers wayne

I never tie a rig without the little bit of tubing. Confidence thing I guess and spill over from carp fishing where sometimes you'd have had interest in the hook bait but never received an indication! Less useful on the rivers for barbel like as you generally know when you've had a take or not!! 😂 but at least I know my boilie or whatever bait I'm using is settling in the position I intended it to.

Back