• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Homemade Feeders

Lee Barlow

Just started knocking up my own feeders from hair Curlers, quite costly to start off buying the mould 1.5 2oz & 2.5oz and swivels inserts for the Boom e.t.c but no doubt it will pay for its self in the long run does anyone else make there own quite relaxing now and again when you can disappear into the shed melting lead well thats what i tell the wife :D
might even start flogging them on Flea Bay

Lee, look good....are you spraying the curlers with some sort of dark paint ?
The ones I have seen are in really vivid colours.

Dave

Did it for years, including making leads as well.

Still have all the moulds in the shed, but apart from making up a few leads for myself and mates, I don't bother doing them to sell any more.

Still got loads of lead at work too.....

Steve

Lee, look good....are you spraying the curlers with some sort of dark paint ?
The ones I have seen are in really vivid colours.

Dave

Hi Dave
Yes I've sprayed them with plasti-kote black & green or a bit of both
Ye when you buy them there a Vivid white

Did it for years, including making leads as well.

Still have all the moulds in the shed, but apart from making up a few leads for myself and mates, I don't bother doing them to sell any more.

Still got loads of lead at work too.....

Steve

Hi Steve
Been looking for more moulds just bought a dumpy dice mould off eBay 1-3oz might start doing them too, the lead I got from work myself but I'll probably have to visit the scrap yard soon I'm down to about 2kg

From memory I have:
1/8oz- 1.5oz bombs
2-3-4-6oz bombs
2-3oz grippers
6oz grippers
strap on feeder moulds
Various jig head moulds
Various drilled bullet moulds
Large pyramid sea mould.

Plus I made my own mould for my feeders.

I also have powder coat, brass loops and swivels....

Look sound them Steve
That's what I'll have to get next some grippers been looking for other strap moulds but can't find any was thinking of going paying a visit to local fabricators

Making your own gear is the trademark of a serious angler - I've been making my own feeders since the seventies. Nowadays the cost in angling shops is horrendous and as we all know, it's possible to lose a serious amount during the course of a season - especially in floodwater conditions!

Attachments

• Home made feeders.jpg
    Home made feeders.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 511
Yes they are Steve. The last time I bought them (from a local engineering supplies company) they cost £5.76 for a hundred. Their reference number was BS020. I spray the hair rollers with black 'stone chip' - the stuff used to protect car sills. The rollers cost £1.99 for a pack of 18 - I chuck the smallest 6 away since they are too small for river feeders. That's less than 40p for the feeder body and the O-ring. You'll have to find a friendly plumber for lead flashing though - or, perish the thought, buy some. I know a friendly plumber so it's free!

Last edited:
feeders

b m bargains for the rollers ,or your mates missis at the hairdressers ,and Trafford angling do all the moulds you need lee, or we have a swap shop between us in the shop!:rolleyes:

Lee i have a double mould u can cast 4 leads at once 2oz 4oz. If u want to borough it u can just let me know if u want it.

I make mine the same way as Roger apart from 2 things, I don't bother spraying the curlers and I tie loops of Power Gum in place of the rubber rings. Much easier than messing about with moulds and hot lead.

Back