• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

homemade boilies

Jerry Gleeson

i like having a go at making my own boilies, now what i was wondering was, rather than buy a boilie base, what do you use to make your own base?
cheers
jerry

Depends on what type of boilie you want Jerry. If you after just a simple flavoured "old style" boilie, like Tutti-Frutti or any of the other well known baits by Richworth etc. then they are mostly made up with just a plain old 50/50 base mix and then the relevent flavour and colour added.

If you are after something more exotic like some of the fishmeal and Red Robin mixes then things start to get more complicated.

For what it's worth, I nearly always use paste when I fish and as I am lazy I tend to buy a fishmeal base mix like CC Moore's Odyssee XXX or Mainline Trigga and just play around with it by adding a few extra things like Belachan and also a bit of Gluten to help stiffen it a bit.

I have found over the years that sometimes less is more and ALWAYS try to keep things as simple as possible. As with all these things you can get too involved and end up spending more time bait making than fishing, but then if you enjoy it....

Hi Jerry,

If you search the 'Favourite Boilie' type threads on here, you will see that most of the guys use baits originally designed for carp. It is true that a few companies do bring out baits labeled as barbel specific (John Baker being a prime example), but it soon becomes obvious that there a very few, if any, differences between the two types.

When you consider the number of 'accidental' catches of bream, tench, roach...in fact pretty well any fish that swims, on boilies intended for carp, it would seem that any high quality, nutritionally ballanced boilie is a good bait...period! The fact that these same quality boilies are now used as the bait of choice by many top anglers for many species only goes to reinforce that fact.

So...accepting that fact, it becomes fairly easy to research the type of ingredients required, because most of the major boilie/bait manufacturers make at least some of these types of bait, and some publish a list of suggested recipes for quality baits. One such which I can recommend is C.C. Moores.

http://www.ccmoore.com/technical_information.php This link should lead you to their 'usefull information' page, and a search through the site will reveal actual recipes, and of course they sell all the ingredients you could want. There are other sites like this, and some of the other lads will perhaps supply links, or you could just Google it.

Oh...and no, before someone comments... I am not paid by C.C. Moores in any way, I am just trying to help by suggesting a good example of what is available.

Cheers, Dave.

thanks for your replies guys but you may have misunderstood my question, i have all my additives and flavours and oils etc what i,m after making is a plain old base, would i use flour and eggs then add my bits and peices or flour and butter etc or should i be using something as well as flour like semolina etc
thanks
jerry

i made a great paste but when i rolled it and boiled it i couldnt get it to stiffen properly, so i assume i made the base wrong

Last edited:
Jerry, you have a massive choice of base mix ingredients available to you. http://www.ccmoore.com/base-mix-ingredients-c-10.html

Most base mixes do contain an amount of semolina, also maize meal and Soya flour is included in alot of baits but it is advisable to keep the inclusion levels down to aid digestion.
The best bet as has already been mentioned is to give CC Moore a bell and have a chat with them about what you are looking to achieve.
The list really is endless as to what you could include, Milk proteins, blended and pre digested fish meals, and meat meals are all proven Barbel attractors all I would suggest is that you create a mix and stick with it.

I did this some time ago, shopped around for my ingredients and now have a bait I have alot of confidence in which works out at well under a fiver a kilo rolled.
Have a look at this link which simplifies the process some what

http://www.fishforcarp.com/html/make boilies.htm

Hope this helps,

Tom.

Last edited:
Ii,m after making is a plain old base, would i use flour and eggs then add my bits and peices or flour and butter etc
That sounds more like a Pastry MIx than a boilie mix.:):eek:

If you want plain base mix get hold of Richworth 50-50 or similar (see http://www.richworth.com/products/197113274/3-base-mixes/)

If you have never made your own before I suggest get hold of a base mix.
You could use Richworth 50-50 Gold and add say Robin Red to it then your liquids.

If you intend to fish the same water I would recommend a better quality
mix, eg John Baker mix (see http://www.johnbakerbaits.com/tipsandrecipes.php) Or follow the links in the previous posts.

hi tom
thanks for that, that second link had the exact information i was looking for, i was just hoping to save a few pounds by making everything from scratch and in bulk
cheers
jerry

That sounds more like a Pastry MIx than a boilie mix.:):eek:

i have made my own boilies before using a 50/50 mix but wanted to make my own from scratch, so i started with a pasta mix and tried a pastry mix, i got 2 lovely pastes but no boilies :confused: couldnt get them to stiffen

now i have the right ingriedients for my base i should end up with some lovely boilies that i can wrap my paste around, if it all goes to plan :eek:
thanks
jerry

after our last trip to the teme, i,m not taking any bait, i,m just gonna follow you around and use yours :)
cheers
jerry

I have a couple of kile of homemades in the freezer. Made using groung pellet, crab flavouring, ground semolina and eggs for the paste, rolled and boiled for a min. Smell spot on!

Jerry, I have used the base mixes from the site that Tom has linked and added John Bakers 'Bounty' flavour for my own home made 'Cell' boilies for Carp which really work just as well as the real thing! I then moved on to buying a very fine fishmeal groundbait mix which I mixed with a little soya flour to make it less sticky for rolling to make my own boilies for Barbel and at about £3 per kilo it worked out very cheap to knock up a kilo of boilies with some spare paste!
However I have since used a mix of Trigga and Active 8 base mixes with very fine fishmeal groundbait to make my own paste which I mould around Trigga boilies (In winter I feel the boilie is mainly a 'vehicle' for the paste which is the main flavour carrier) and have fun playing with various fishy/meaty flavours/additives in the paste! They all seem to work!

Last edited:
Back