• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Home page

Nick Clark

Haven't been here for a while, which is no reflection on you (us) lovely lot. Just thought the new home page message is very well written, kind of nails it. Sad but true is the message I guess. But nothing will stop me sitting on the bank of the Kennet.

My best to everyone. Nick

Thanks Nick. I wrote it in a bit of a rush as it occurred to me that the homepage wasn't really offering much in terms of barbel information. I know some may disagree with my claims/statements. They're written by someone who has first hand experience of witnessing a small prolific barbel river become an otter spotters paradise over the past 10 years.

I meant to ask whether anyone here could improve or expand on it when I published the page? Feel free to get in touch if you'd like to suggest improvements. It could be that it could be worded to sound a little more balanced...

Cheers,

Andy F

I think you have to mention otters when it comes to barbel on smaller rivers, but I feel if you mention that alone for declining barbel numbers it sounds a bit like sour grapes and plays into the hands of pro otter people. So I think you would have to add that over abstraction leading to low summer flows and poor water quality also add to the declining barbel population. Unless we think that otters are the only reason?

Thanks Andy and for years of entertainment for BFW in the first place. Hmm, yes I tend to agree with what Jason says there, perhaps "due to a number of pressures including the reintroduction... and over abstraction... and might even be worth mentioning the environmental, conservation dimensions and respect for the Barbel the members on BFW have. perhaps harder without it becoming an essay! anyway I like the words at the head of the forum and just thought I'd say.

Jason/Nick - I think you're right, I'll add some more shortly. Maybe add something about restocking that's also happening so that it's not all doom and gloom.

Just thinking, it might be nice to have a separate 'Barbel Information' page with some really in depth stuff covering life span, breeding habits, natural diets, stocking history etc etc of barbel. It would be great if this was authored and updated by the members of the site. Please let me know if you'd be up for helping with this....

Cheers,

Andy

13lb 4oz of Bristol Avon gold 🥇

I think

I'm wrong 12lb 8oz lol

Back