• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Home Made Baits

Gents,
I'm looking to have a go at making my own baits.
Have read about the "John Baker" range of bait, do any of you guys have any experience of ussing these products ?
Any comments would be appreciated.
i'm new to bait making so even the basic information will be of use.

thanks.
andy

Go for something simple from the Mainline range i.e one base mix and one activator liqued. I went down the JB route some years back, buying various additives and liquids and it put less fish on the bank :)

Thanks for the help.

What determines is a bait is "shelf life" or "frozen" ?
Is it the make up of the initial mix?

Hi Andy,
A 'shelf life' bait - usually a boillie has various preservatives included in the product to increase it's 'shelf life'.

Frozen baits, though obviously you can make them yourself and freeze them, in the context you're refering to, are baits made from the manufactures own base mixes, and then frozen, often by one of the many bait rolling services that are out there, they contain no preservatives, though these bait rolling companies will add them if you wish, usually if you are planning a foreign trip, thereby making a Frozen shelf life LOL ! :p

All the best
Ian.

TBH, its really great when you catch a fish on a bait you've made yourself, there's proper sense of achievement goes with it.

Personally, I'd find a decent bait maker and have a good natter with him about baits. There are a good few bait firms who produce good baits at reasonable prices and who are willing to tweak a mix to suit the customer.

That way, you get a good bait at a good price, saves you the hassle and keeps the Mrs happy. There's nowt like the smell of Monster Crab in the kitchen, to pee a woman off.

Thanks for the help.

What determines is a bait is "shelf life" or "frozen" ?
Is it the make up of the initial mix?

A 'frozen bait' is just a standard bait made using commercial base mixes or your own recipe, with (usually) eggs to bind it. They are mixed, rolled and boiled for a certain time, then left for a couple of hours to cool and dry. They are usually then bagged up in polythene bags and need freezing, otherwise they will go off, turn mouldy etc. if left for more than a few days.

Conversely, a 'Shelf life' bait is one that has had a preservative of some sort added at the mixing stage, then made in the same way as the 'frozen' type. However, they obviously do not need freezing, because the preservative delays the decaying process. Depending on the type and amount of preservative used, they will last last for anything from a few weeks up to a year :)eek:) without the need to freeze.

The preservatives are available from bait ingredient suppliers, such as C.C.Moores. There was a lot of controversy some years back in carp fishing circles over fish deaths attributed to over use of bait preservatives. One can only hope that these days the preservatives supplied by reputable dealers, when used as directed...are not harmful to fish.

The alternative is to air dry your bait. Once cooked, lay the baits in a single layer on mesh racks and allow to dry, preferably in a cool, dry room. Leave for a week or so, then store in cool, dry conditions in a NON airtight bag. NOT polythene or similar. These baits will then last for several weeks, even months, if kept cool and dry. They can be rehydrated before use, by soaking for a short time in water, either flavoured...or some that has been used to boil hemp...or plain lake water. Do this in small batches as required for immediate use...or just use as they are, as you prefer.

Hope that helps Andy.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Bio shellfish ,fab back up bait for me ,so versatile ,if its hard going try it ,if no bites then move "Simples"

I did not notice the word" fresh" or "quality ingrediants" in this thread yet ?
Make your own JB bait and be using it a hour or so later ,paste is so quick and easy to do. (B expensive though)

I have used John Baker baits for the last 4 seasons and have a great deal of confidence in them. His philosophy is based around good formulations, the freshest ingredients and, critically, correct application of the bait. With a half decent bait I am convinced that it is how you use it rather than what it is that makes a difference. Have a read of Ian Grant's articles which give an excellent overview of bait application targeting bigger barbel. I guess it depends to a certain extent what sort of river you are fishing and what the head of barbel is like. Like Ian, I fish the Loddon which would be a different proposition bait wise compared with say the Trent or the Severn. There are lots of good baits out there, I would chose one and stick with it. I make my own baits - the big advantages are that you know what goes in them and you know they will be fresh. If you can find the time I would always advise making your own bait but it is a time consuming and smelly operation that doesn't always make you popular with other family members!

Steve

Back