• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hirisi or similar chinese reels

Hi guys,
Just an update on this thread. I ordered the two reels on June 2nd from China. They arrived today 16th, very well packed and protected. They look very impressive with a metal body and chrome handle and they feel very smooth in action. I will spool up and test them next week and give you a report.

You have the 16th on your mind, Mike. Can't think why! :)

If you need a set of budget alarms to go with your budget reels, these may fit the bill, pretty self explanatory .

Slight typo in tbe advert... haha

If you need a set of budget alarms to go with your budget reels, these may fit the bill, pretty self explanatory .

I have four of these (one spare) I paid less than four quid each for them. Had plenty of use from them and they’re still going strong.

Unfortunately the same can’t be said for the big reel I use for spodding. The second line clip broke on it today so it’s no use to me now. It has taken a lot of abuse and the line clips do take a fair battering but I’d hoped it would last longer than it has, I bought it less than a year ago.

You might get just one chance to land that fish of a lifetime, would you really trust a Chinese 10 USD reel?
I dont see anyone on here advocating pink 4ft rods or similar for barbel, so why take a chance with cheap bling ?
And to top off a miserable post, Aldi Lidl, gear is just not up to it either, the only exception is perhaps some of the clothing, or the occasional bag.
I like a bargain as much as anyone, but I have a garage full of gear I boughf on a whim as a so called bargain, would rather buy second hand quality, and considering tackle quality was 20 years or more ago, they will out the present day rubbish by another 20 years, at least.

Neil,
I hear what you are saying, but the truth is a lot of the gear in your tackle box is almost certainly Chinese made but labelled with a UK company and marked up 200 or 300% so you think you are buying better quality. Have a look on the Hirisi web site at their accessories, I am confident you will recognise items you have purchased under another brand name.
I am not advocating buying only Chinese gear, I have Shimano and Diawa reels and Drennan and Free Spirit rods, but I wanted a couple of reels for crucian and tench fishing and these look and feel as good as anything I have seen in the shops at £40+.

Neil,
I hear what you are saying, but the truth is a lot of the gear in your tackle box is almost certainly Chinese made but labelled with a UK company and marked up 200 or 300% so you think you are buying better quality. Have a look on the Hirisi web site at their accessories, I am confident you will recognise items you have purchased under another brand name.
I am not advocating buying only Chinese gear, I have Shimano and Diawa reels and Drennan and Free Spirit rods, but I wanted a couple of reels for crucian and tench fishing and these look and feel as good as anything I have seen in the shops at £40+.
Hi Mike, I know the bottom line is that most trusted brands have migrated to China for manufacturing, we are seeing Shimano and the like quality suffering as a result. Once you have a hands off approach to quality control and sourcing components is where the problems start. The output from China is mind blowing, all those different reels, tooling cost alone would be prohibitive anywhere else. They are genius at what they do, but we have been flooded with Chinese goods, and there has to be consequences. I remember when Made In Japan was synonymous with poor quality, now it's reveered, who know perhaps China might go the same way?
But I doubt it.
Good luck with the Tench and the reels, let us know if old red eye strips the gears :D

Hi Mike, I know the bottom line is that most trusted brands have migrated to China for manufacturing, we are seeing Shimano and the like quality suffering as a result. Once you have a hands off approach to quality control and sourcing components is where the problems start. The output from China is mind blowing, all those different reels, tooling cost alone would be prohibitive anywhere else. They are genius at what they do, but we have been flooded with Chinese goods, and there has to be consequences. I remember when Made In Japan was synonymous with poor quality, now it's reveered, who know perhaps China might go the same way?
But I doubt it.
Good luck with the Tench and the reels, let us know if old red eye strips the gears :D

I have four of these (one spare) I paid less than four quid each for them. Had plenty of use from them and they’re still going strong.
Do you have those exact alarms ? The build quality looks awful , great big gap in the join. I was tempted to get some others, Hirisi have some cracking looking sets with loads of features, and as most named brand alarms are made in China, chances are they share some components. Eventually I plumped for a pair of second hand Delkim Ev+, heard they are bulletproof.

Do you have those exact alarms ? The build quality looks awful , great big gap in the join. I was tempted to get some others, Hirisi have some cracking looking sets with loads of features, and as most named brand alarms are made in China, chances are they share some components. Eventually I plumped for a pair of second hand Delkim Ev+, heard they are bulletproof.

They look exactly the same. I only bought them because I was doing a bit of tenching, I wouldn’t normally use alarms enough to warrant spending a lot. As it happens I spent most of the last year fishing for big bream so I’ve used them a lot and they’ve done the job. One stopped working after they all went in one day but it soon came back to life.

I might just have been lucky - I bought two sets of electronic scales from there, one is accurate to within two ounces, the other seems to be out by 50%. And I wouldn’t bank on them lasting

I replaced the spod reel with the broken line clips with a Shimano spod reel for £55. It’s very similar looking but it does look a bit more robust and the line clips in particular look better. It also comes with a 2 year warranty

Well my cheapo Yumoshi reel arrived in good time, used it a couple of times so far and it's not a patch on the other two Yumoshis which are silky smooth and feel pretty well bulletproof. Not a brilliant paint job and the plastic inserts are quite poor quality, perfectly servicable but I think next time I'll go for the top of the range ones direct from China, around £15 as opposed to less than a tenner UK supplied. Suspect this is one of their budget models or even a knock off copy.

One of the others is shown here and performed as well as any fixed spool reel could, lost one, got one. Used the pin the following day.
IMG_20190617_144304_1.jpg

That's a 30" round net.

Back