• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hinders Elips Pellets

Be interested how much asthaxantin is in the oil ,,,,,

I know the original elips contained asthaxanthin but does it actually serve any real purpose in a barbel bait? As far as I was aware it was used as a colouring agent for farmed salmon and trout as that pigment would be missing due to their lack of natural dietary sources.

I know the original elips contained asthaxanthin but does it actually serve any real purpose in a barbel bait? As far as I was aware it was used as a colouring agent for farmed salmon and trout as that pigment would be missing due to their lack of natural dietary sources.
Many people believes that asthaxantin is the magic ingredient that makes the original elips successful, and I know some one put it in their own bait and reported it performed better.

I was given about a kilo of the original elips a few weeks ago.
Got them safely put away for use this season

Many people believes that asthaxantin is the magic ingredient that makes the original elips successful, and I know some one put it in their own bait and reported it performed better.

I used the 'original' elips and they most definitely were effective. I just wondered if it had been proven that asthaxantin was what made them so attractive, or whether it was just an assumption that some anglers made.
From what I saw it wasnt just the colour of the bait that differed when Hinders changed their Elips, perhaps other ingredients were removed too or it was a totally different bait all together?
It seems strange that the multi billion pound fish feed industry were adding this ingredient, in all probability in a synthetic form, without noticing its attractant/feed inducing properties if that was the case.

Oh for that Teme-Severn Ultimate Feeder mix to be available again, that was my goto go anywhere catch everything solution.
Another one "lost" to the ether.. CCMoores 2-3mm Hi-Betain feed pellets

Down to my last few Kg's of the original large Elips, used as hookbaits only now, they do smell a bit rancid but that defo deters myself rather than the fish.

Oh for that Teme-Severn Ultimate Feeder mix to be available again, that was my goto go anywhere catch everything solution.
Another one "lost" to the ether.. CCMoores 2-3mm Hi-Betain feed pellets

Down to my last few Kg's of the original large Elips, used as hookbaits only now, they do smell a bit rancid but that defo deters myself rather than the fish.
Ah that ultimate feeder mix from Teme 7 was brilliant Graham! That smell of lamprey was out of this world (fishing wise)
They also got me to test their black sooties which were heavily flavoured lamprey pellets but like the halibut pellets in appearance. I did extremely well on them on the Loddon & Kennet.

What would I give for a decent pellet like them to come back to the market! 👍

Ah that ultimate feeder mix from Teme 7 was brilliant Graham! That smell of lamprey was out of this world (fishing wise)
They also got me to test their black sooties which were heavily flavoured lamprey pellets but like the halibut pellets in appearance. I did extremely well on them on the Loddon & Kennet.

What would I give for a decent pellet like them to come back to the market! 👍
I still have some Liver & Lamprey dumbells and crustacean squabs. When all else fails...

I've still got about a third of a bottle of Lamprey flavour, I have a sniff of it occasionally for nostalgia. The thing about Teme Severn baits was it gave you confidence. A while after Teme Severn ceased trading, Dave Mason started selling some of the range under his own name. I bought some for old times sake at a Barbel Society meeting a few years back.

I'm the guy who has been experimenting with Astaxanthin.

I went from a Barbel novice catching bugger all to suddenly catching quite often.

I went from using off-the-shelf baits like Krill and Source to rolling my own HNV boilies with Astaxanthin added.

You can buy the powder from AliExpress quite cheap. I personally use 50g per kilo of base mix.

There is a thread over on Maggotdrowners forums with my original recipe.

Back