• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hi guys, in need of new Polarizing Glasses. Any suggesstions pls!?

Matt Flay

mine are about 5 years old, were cheap at the time, and I'm making it my mission to fish a lot lighter this year and rove alot more, so a decent pair of polarizing glasses are going to be top of my list for now. Dont mind spending a fair bit on them, so any suggestions from experience would be great. Thank you very much and all the best

What do you mean by "a fair bit" Matt ? £200 will get you some Optilabs Ultra 2000 or Costa Del Mar 580 ;) both are very good but there are many others, best to try them yourself rather than rely on others opinions though.

Specsavers! Having been prescribed varifocal lenses I used my 'second pair free' offer and chose to have polarised prescription lens sunglasses.

Thought you guys may like to know that my security software detected and blocked a Trojan Horse while navigating the Optilabs site just now (when I clicked onto the 'Fishing sunglasses' option). Take care.

Cheers, Dave

thanks for the replies gents, and Simon.. urrrm, £200 might be a bit much :eek: but I think my old ones were about £15 quid and got to be honest, they weren't great at cutting the glare from the water's surface..

so I suppose when I say "a fair bit" I mean up to around the £50-75 mark I guess. And I agree, I'd love to try some out, but it's their performance on the river bank that I'm most keen on, and don't know many places that'll let me try that out lol.

I also dont want to go spend £75 odd quid if someone comes on here and says "X/Y/Z, amazing, £30, best Iv ever had!". Clive - do you have those you mention above yourself? the fact they're so cheap makes me (maybe wrongly!) assume that they'll be no good!?

again, thx for the replies... i know it's only a pair of glasses, but I could really do with not wasting my money on ones that are useless again! :)

The ones I bought from Uttings seem to have gone now but here they are elsewhere Snowbee Prestige with Amber lenses. I really like them.
Sunglasses

Would I would suggest whatever you go with is to get 2 different colour lenses,I'd have a grey lens and a amber lens for the different light levels.

Are you aware that polarized glasses can wear out, this will render them useless, you can do a quick check, put on your glasses and then hold another pair in front of them with the side frame pointing away from you, you should now be looking through two pair of glasses, at this point close one eye and turn very slowly the pair of glasses in front of you, what should happen now is they should darken to a point where you can't see through them, if there are clear patches, then chuck them in the bin, they are worn out.
I have bought expensive ones in the past, but now i find SOME of the cheaper ones are just as good, shop around, try Boots the chemist.
Good luck.
Brian.
ps. ...............it's the old ones that you should be holding for testing.

Last edited:
Would I would suggest whatever you go with is to get 2 different colour lenses,I'd have a grey lens and a amber lens for the different light levels.

Which is why the Ultra 2000 lenses are so good, they alter their tint between brown and a light olive colour to suit differing light levels and it works superbly, yes they are pricey but they are probably the most important item of gear that i have so i don't care !
By way of underlining why its best to try out for yourself i personally find grey lenses hopeless for fish spotting while others swear by them.
Matt,whatever you do though, unless you go down the Optilabs route, buy yourself a second pair with Yellow/Olive lenses, even cheap ones will outperform the very best brown ones in low light (dawn/dusk) and that as far as my eyes are concerned is FACT ! thats based on many years of sight fishing for Barbel.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all your help gentlemen. I've got plenty of info there to help me now, so thanks very much and all the best :)

Back