• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hi everyone

Tim Penn

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum although I’ve been lurking on parts of it for a while. I’m just about to target my first barbel from the Thames in and around the oxford area having previously only fished for them now and again on the Ouse in bucks. I’ve been fishing the Thames for silvers all summer but winter is a different animal.

I know of a couple of areas to start my quest and what to look for swim wise thanks to a club bailiff, although I know it isn’t going to be easy. I’m going to focus on only those areas this winter when conditions are good, letting the weather and river dictate when I target them and see what happens. I must admit though, seeing a very high Thames last weekend was quite daunting, as it’s my first winter on it…. It’s a bit different to the rivers I’m used to.

I do have one question for anyone who knows the Thames in the Oxford area and it’s winter habits … I have a korum 1.75tc barbel rod, which I love, but would I need something more powerful for when it’s really pushing? I want to focus on using one rod for now, will either be lead or feeder, to ensure I am happy with my approach, but I’m not sure if I need a heavy one that I can take when the river is really pushing. I’d rather be slightly overgunned at the start while I get to know the river in its winter mood, I’m not sure if my korum is strong enough for it.

Any advice appreciated.

Tim

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum although I’ve been lurking on parts of it for a while. I’m just about to target my first barbel from the Thames in and around the oxford area having previously only fished for them now and again on the Ouse in bucks. I’ve been fishing the Thames for silvers all summer but winter is a different animal.

I know of a couple of areas to start my quest and what to look for swim wise thanks to a club bailiff, although I know it isn’t going to be easy. I’m going to focus on only those areas this winter when conditions are good, letting the weather and river dictate when I target them and see what happens. I must admit though, seeing a very high Thames last weekend was quite daunting, as it’s my first winter on it…. It’s a bit different to the rivers I’m used to.

I do have one question for anyone who knows the Thames in the Oxford area and it’s winter habits … I have a korum 1.75tc barbel rod, which I love, but would I need something more powerful for when it’s really pushing? I want to focus on using one rod for now, will either be lead or feeder, to ensure I am happy with my approach, but I’m not sure if I need a heavy one that I can take when the river is really pushing. I’d rather be slightly overgunned at the start while I get to know the river in its winter mood, I’m not sure if my korum is strong enough for it.

Any advice appreciated.

Tim

Hello Tim, I think that it’s most likely you will need a rod with a bit more about it .
This forum is a great place for rod advice , with many of the members on here having fished for barbel for years , and have probably seen or heard this question many times .
I personally would step all the kit up , just keep it balanced. 🎣

Hi Tim
It's been a long while since I've caught a Thames barbel and in truth I've only ever fished in summer and early autumn. That said, even then I moved up to a 2.25lb through action rod. It was still lovely to play barbel on but had a bit more about it for the carp that I inevitably caught more of.
I gather the otters have made a dent in the carp population but I wouldn't be surprised if you still caught a few.
Best of of luck in your quest.

Thanks guys. I agree with you that I probably need a step up, the more I think about it the more it makes obvious sense because of the size and power of the river when there’s extra water on. Better to have it if needed than wish I did and miss out on a chance of a special fish like a barbel.

Any advice appreciated.

Tim
Hi Tim, welcome to BFW….I have never fished the Thames for barbel or handled a Korum barbel rod but I agree with your thinking of better to be over-gunned a little. My advice for what it’s worth is take all the advice you can but don’t forget to enjoy the journey of working things out for yourself what suits you and your situation. Keep us updated on it all.

Hi Tim

Nearly all my Barbel fishing is on the Thames in and around Oxford. 2 to 2.25lb rods will suffice when winter fishing slacks and smooth water on the near bank and inside of bends. Occasionally in extreme circumstances (the last week or so!) and if I need to cast across then I will up to 2.75lb.

Keep at it, they are there, but don't hang around for long in one place, so you'll have to keep searching for them. A rising or steady water temperature will give you your best chance. I've found 6c is usually the trigger point, but have caught at 5c on a couple of occasions.

Mick

Welcome Tim. I've fished the Thames a lot in the past. Now the Wye, Severn and Trent sometimes.
All rivers that have powerful flows.

I would suggest you look at 2 25 Daiwa Powermesh for great rods at sensible price.

They really are perfect rods for playing fish...and importantly casting if you want to pop the bait out a bit if needed.

Welcome Tim, you will find this forum a joy not only fishing advice but how to make Yorkshire Pud and how to refill loo roll the correct way...enjoy.

Sorry I can't help with Thames advice but regarding rods IMHO 1.75lb is probably a bit light.

Welcome Tim,
BFW is a great forum with much knowledge and experience. The lovely thing is that the members are happy to share it 😁👍
Personally I’ve not fished the Thames but have drunk many a cuppa in the riverside cafe at Runnymead so know what she looks like. If you follow Grahams advice about the Daiwa Powermesh rod (s) you won’t go far wrong for sure.
Good Luck and keep us all posted (but don’t give out exact locations).

Hi Tim & welcome go the forum!

I've just ordererd a 2.25 rod for the Thames too. I live within the Oxford area, so that choice of rating will be fine.

Thanks everyone. I’ve sorted myself out a 2.25 powermesh so if it arrives in time I will get my first trip with it later this week/at the weekend. Decent weather this week so hopefully the river will be slightly less angry by then, but still angry enough.

Back