• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hi attract bait

Chris Thomson

Hi just as carp anglers use a over flavoured pop up to fish as a single bait especially in winter is there any mileage in the same tactic for barbel but using a bottom bait?

Meat flavoured with ............ :) ie. whatever you choose.

Glugged bait and coated bait. Personally wouldn't use as a regular thing, but there are additives that work better than others. N-butyric acid for example.

Tony Miles RIP in the past wrote about heavily flavoured baits blowing quickly and that you should use very lightly flavoured baits.This was so that the bait could be established and a long term catcher. Heavy flavoured baits would catch very well for around 6 weeks and then catch rates would die off My findings were the same but i would still use heavily flavoured baits.My thoughts were if i fished often enough i could catch the majority of fish in the area quickly and avoid recaptures. Friends found that high quality baits lightly flavoured (milks) could get very addictive and they kept recapturing fish.My worry was that if you had a shoal of fish in your swim the mug fish in the shoal would always be straight on the bait and the wary fish would keep avoiding capture.With a heavy flavour the mug fish was often avoided meaning that you had a chance at the more careful fish. I always used to use natural flavours.

I have used single heavily flavoured baits in the past for carp at long range, the flavours were all natural being included in the base mix that my bait was made of, I didn't notice any drop off of catches but I do believe that some of the carriers used in artificial flavours can put fish off if to much is included in a bait.

The two I had most success on were Garlic and a cheese powder obtained ;) for me by a friend that worked in a snack manufacturing plant.

Tony Miles RIP in the past wrote about heavily flavoured baits blowing quickly and that you should use very lightly flavoured baits.This was so that the bait could be established and a long term catcher. Heavy flavoured baits would catch very well for around 6 weeks and then catch rates would die off My findings were the same but i would still use heavily flavoured baits.My thoughts were if i fished often enough i could catch the majority of fish in the area quickly and avoid recaptures. Friends found that high quality baits lightly flavoured (milks) could get very addictive and they kept recapturing fish.My worry was that if you had a shoal of fish in your swim the mug fish in the shoal would always be straight on the bait and the wary fish would keep avoiding capture.With a heavy flavour the mug fish was often avoided meaning that you had a chance at the more careful fish. I always used to use natural flavours.
Interesting post mark, heavily flavoured baits as in adding increased flavouring to boilie base mixes or leaving them to soak in a strong glug. I've recently got some concentrated liquid flavours to add tobase mixes at a stronger rate and also soaking some shelf life's and adding to paste. Yet to try these supercharged baits out, obviously the goal is a more powerful scent trail. Loose feed as in pellets hemp vitalin breadcrumb will also be boosted topped off with added liver powder.

Last edited:
The bait i wrote about was a homemade very strong smelling base mix, heavy in predigested fishmeal with Robin red, very high in protein , horrible to mix . My prebait was exactly the same as hookbaits .There was no point adding increased flavour it would have disappeared with the stench from the basemix, the finished bait smelt stronger than Monster crab. The smell was terrible,my wife called it DD (dog dirt) and it smelled exactly as described .My bait bucket would be a fly mecca, and would have to be left away from where i was sitting,but the fish loved it short term and it always did exactly as i wanted it to do.

Has anyone actually glugged a bait and watched how long the glug lasts in running water? ie, close in. I'm a little doubtful that it would last more than a minute or two in heavy flows, thus rendering the glug ineffective, and not worth investing in. Whereas a bait wrapped in paste would be leaking scent/particles for some time.
Just a thought.

Back