• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hemp

David Gauntlett

Hi Guys, I have hesitated to mention this before, because I have no corroborating evidence, but I had an interesting conversation with the owner of my local tackle shop recently. I had gone in to buy a sack of hemp for the season, and he didn't have any. He explained that there is some new regulation which requires all hemp to be treated to prevent it from germinating...and this was stopping it from splitting when it is boiled, so he was looking for ways round this.

If it is true, it would explain a lot of things, wouldn't it?

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
I buy from a local animal feed store, not heard this yet, I ordered some only 3 days ago. promised it would be in for next week.

Dave

I had always heard that too from years back, found the below extract on the Web from a health site

Sterilized Hemp Seed

The word ‘sterilized’ conjures up some misconceptions. Legal hemp seeds are either heat sterilized or steam sterilized. This is to keep them from growing into new plants. Steamed seeds are actually superior in freshness. Contrary to popular belief, few if any seed companies use irradiation to treat their products.
To steam sterilize, seeds are not cooked to the point of killing bacteria. Instead, they are brought to a temperature of 160°F for 5 minutes and then cooled. This is hot enough to alter some of the enzymes necessary for photosynthesis. If the seeds were cooked any further, the seed coats would break, allowing the reactive oils to go rancid quickly. As it is, the shelf life of the cooked seeds is compromised. The heat opens micro fissures in the hull that allow oxygen to penetrate into the delicate kernels. Live seeds can sprout after being kept in a drawer for five years, but cooked seeds can go rancid in a few months, especially if not refrigerated.

Ive always thought it was treated but have always found that hemp seed will germinate, even cooked hemp seed.

I tapped out my cooked hemp remnants from the pan and a few scattered in between mine and my neighbours garden.

About 10 plants sprouted in amongst his spuds!

About 10 plants sprouted in amongst his spuds!

I am sure my neighbours would happily come and remove them for him ;)

I was in Jollyes pet store recently where there sell fishing bait, including hemp.

The assistant was a fisherman and told me the price of hemp had risen sharply due to increased demand. He said hemp is now being used in the manufacture of many products it wasn't used in before.

I just remembered something else my dealer mentioned....aparently, if he could get the good stuff again, it would cost £60 for a 20k sack :eek:

Cheers, Dave.

you have a dealer ,david whats the world coming too,they have had a bad harvest in china so theres a shortage ,thats what ive heard,

i herd through the grape vine , mr gaskill , be going around to all the tackle shops buying all the hemp up, he will corner the market,:D

god, i can remember getting a 52lb bag of hemp for £15, mind you it was a good couple of years ago,and it was the best you could get, now a lot of shop will sell you the cheaper stuff,?????

Can anyone recommend a good online retailer for bulk hempseed gonna be running out soon.

Just received some from CC Moores, not the cheapest but the grain size is good. Not had much luck in recent seasons when buying hemp i.e. it's the tiny pin head sized stuff or it does split when boiled (Kernals are brown and dead).

Opted for CC Moores as well known for its quality.

Last week I purchased a sack from my local animal feed store to see what it was like, as had never used them before. I cooked up a batch and it's the best quality of hemp i've had, splits very well, is very clean no bits of rubbish in with the seed etc. I was getting fed up buying hemp which was poor in quality and failed to split.

Paid £20 for 15kilos.

I have just purchased a bulk bag of hemp from Kent Particles, i am very pleased with the quality, they split easily when cooked, top marks.
Brian.
PS check their website.

I recently received an order of Hemp from NSA Baits. They supplied Buckton's hemp and it started to split after overnight soaking in cold water. The rest split after a short boil and simmer. Good quality and service.

I recently received an order of Hemp from NSA Baits. They supplied Buckton's hemp and it started to split after overnight soaking in cold water. The rest split after a short boil and simmer. Good quality and service.

Sounds good to me Anthony. I was looking at what was available, and that company came up. Sadly, my search also showed up something that has been rumbling about in my mind for some time, due to other recent bait searches.

NSA cleaned and graded hemp, £29.99 per 20kg
GJW Titmuss Chinese hemp £25.99 per 20kg
C.CMoores. £20.99 per 10kg (the biggest sack they list)

I have been using CC Moores on and off for years now, and watched as they...and their prices have grown. £41.98 for 20kg of hemp, compaired to those other two? And my recent searches have shown those other two to be fairly typical. I realise CC Moores are known for quality, but the NSA hemp is claimed to be the size of tares, and Anthony found his recent batch to split well and to be good quality....and they offer good service.

Bit sad that all these bait companies end up going the same way, once they become well known and expand....bankers disease spreading perhaps?

Cheers, Dave.

Back