• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hemp oil

Tesco have the same, it's called 'Good Oil', proper cold pressed stuff, been buying it for years. Not sure of the price there at the moment, but I would imagine it's much the same.

Cheers, Dave.

I have a few bottles from the last special left over.

Out of interest, what do you use it for?

I glug boilies, add it to anima feed pellets I buy from a feed merchant but that's it.

You can add it to your boilie mix if you make your own bait (make it part of the total oil inclusion rate if you are also using salmon/fish oil or whatever, not as well as), add it to groundbait, to sticks on the hook length, to contents of pva mesh bags nicked onto the hook, to spod mixes, to glugs, to bait dips....to anything you like, bait wise, it will do no harm, as fish love it. It can slow the breakdown rate of pva, so consider that. Test the type of pva you use, not a big issue normally.

A lot of the above is obviously more often done when carp fishing, but will work just as well with barbel.

Cheers, Dave.

David, whats a typical inclusion rate of hemp oil for a kilo of basemix? I know its a big question but your comments will be greatly appreciated.

David, whats a typical inclusion rate of hemp oil for a kilo of basemix? I know its a big question but your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jon, reading through the carp forums, they leave out oily contents during the winter, as it tends to coagulate. Only adding it back into the mix as the waters start to warm. :) There's no set in stone inclusion rate, but i'd guess the warmer it is, the more oil you can add. :)

Sorry John, been out walking the dog (NOT to the pub :D). A typical total inclusion rate for oils would be anything from 20 to 40ml per kilo. However, that depends on many things...the type of mix, the inclusion rate of other liquid additives, and whether fresh (i.e, liquid) eggs have been used. To much or too little liquid content can make a mix difficult, or even impossible, to roll.

I am no bait guru, having only dabbled many years ago, but the ratio of certain ingredients can make a huge difference to whether a mix is viable, or not. The percentages of liquids, oils, binders, soluble elements and so on can have a massive effect. Even cheap and cheerful low food value attractor baits that are heavy on semo and maize meal with strong flavour levels need to be balanced to roll nicely and stay in one piece for a reasonable time.

It's also worth thinking about reducing oils, or even leaving them out completely, in winter. Any oil that will thicken up (or even go solid) at low temperatures, will badly affect the flavour leakage from you baits. A reasonable test is to place some of the oil you intend using into a fridge set on low. If it starts going milky and losing viscosity, don't use it in winter....you could be locking all the flavour from your expensive ingredients into the bait :D It does have to be pretty cold to achieve that, but not worth the risk. Use liquid fish protein or minamino or similar instead. Even winterised oils are not infallible.

Sadly, trial and error (or getting viable base mix recipes to play around with) is the only way forward. I am sure there are some genuinely knowledgeable bait men on here who could help you a lot more than I ever could. Good luck mate :)

Cheers, Dave.

Right, I am reliably informed that if you have the time, patience and money, this high quality fish mix will catch anything that swims. Start with 8 large fresh eggs, add the liquids and gently beat them together. You do NOT want to add air by beating briskly. Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate container, then add the dry mix to the eggs bit by bit and stir with a fork until that gets too difficult, then start kneading by hand, until you obtain a stiff, typical boilie paste. Carry on Kneading until the paste is smooth and pliable, like shiny plasticine. Roll it and boil for between 1 and 2 minutes, or slightly more if you want them harder. It's a complicated recipe, with quite expensive ingredients, especially if you are starting from scratch and have none of the items to hand as a starter. C.C Moores will have most, if not all of these bits. There are other suppliers that may be cheaper. Long time since I bought stuff or made any boilies of any sort up.

Dry ingredients.

300grm LT 94 Fish meal
120grm Moore's C.L.O
100grm pre digested Fish meal
100grm Robin Red
50grm 90 Mesh Rennet Casein
50grm Vitamealo Milk powder
50grm 90 Mesh Acid Casein
50grm Purified Blood powder
40grm Egg Albumen
40grm GLM powder
40grm Antarctic Krill meal
30grm Soluble Fish Protein
20grm Squid powder
10grm Cyprivit

Liquids

80ml Marine Amino Compound
2ml Talin

If I remember correctly, that started out as a C.C.Moores suggested recipe which has been somewhat modified. You can juggle it more, but beware of increasing the Krill meal too much, for instance....that will make it float :D

Cheers, Dave.

Edit. I see that C.C.Moores don't do the cyprivit powder any more. Don't worry, its only a vitamin, amino etc. compound that's there as a healthy additive for the carp/barbels benefit. It may be available from a chemists, probably in liquid/syrup form. If not, just add 10grm to the CLO content and all will be well. There may be other bits no longer available, from C.C.Moores at least, it's an old recipe.

I've used hemp oil in most boilie/paste mixes over the years. Still probably use Nutrabaits stuff for the main mix, but happily use Good oil from tesco in groundbait or stick mixes. Really good with carpet feed which doesn't need water. As said before, be wary in a stick mix in cold water as it'll inhibit the PVA breaking down.

In boilie/paste mix I rarely use more than 10-15ml in a six egg mix. Never gauge on weight, just on six medium organic eggs (and usually drop the yolks, certainly in winter) and whatever dry mix that takes to get it t a rollable dough.

My boilies are just skinned and pretty soft - you could squish them quite easily, unlike shelf-life shop bought stuff. Make the paste as drippy as possible, maybe even with water and not eggs.

Again, never done a mix with more than three or four additives - something with eight or ten would do my head in. You can get a unique enough bait with fewer additions and then concentrate on getting it in the right place at the right time...

There's something really satisfying about making your own bait, and you don't need to invest in too many (decent) ingredients to do it properly.

You are absolutely right Lloyd, there is no need at all to get as complicated as that recipe...it's a very high protein fishmeal with all more or less natural flavours, no chemical pongs, which pleases me, but I have not tried it myself.

It's a bit of fun that satisfies the urges of bait fanatics to some extent, but to my mind you can achieve more or less the same thing with far fewer ingredients as you say. I shall go back and price it up when I get time, because it may be silly expensive at today's prices, especially if you are only knocking up a couple of kilos. As I say, I am no bait buff, I have no idea of the purpose or 'balance' of some of the bits, but it apparently works.

Cheers, Dave.

I tend to use 30ml of oil per kilo in summer. In winter I tend to cut fish oils with rapeseed oil in order to winterize them and use more like 20ml. If you exclude oil altogether some mixes become very difficult to roll.

Nick C

Would this be any good for simply soaking Halibut pellet hookbaits in?

Hi Gavin, i'm no expert but i don't see why not with both being known to attract/catch fish. The only way to find out for sure is to try it i suppose, good luck anyway and i hope it works for you. Maybe someone with more experience and/or know how can cast some light on it for you:)

Stephen

Lots of people who i know coat there halibut pellets in hemp oil and bag them in pva. They catch very well too.

Just got 5x500ml bottles from Sainsburies for £18.50 :)

If I'd have got the same thing from a bait company like Sticky baits, it'd have cost me nearly £70 :eek:

Back