• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Help!!!!!!!

Marc Kendall

HELP,

having been a keen fisherman for about 10 years and living on the doorstep of sprotbrough falls i have tried endless times to try and bag me a barbel,

i generally fish inline rigs with long hooklinks and pellets or meat as bait usually pva bagged pellets as feed or a groundbait feeder,

just wondering if im doing anything wrong as i have had not had any look, even night fishing hasnt wielded any results,

any help would be appreciated

thanks
marc

Yeh 100 percent sure. Seen plenty come out just to everyone else. I'll get on someday

Marc - may sound a stupid question but are they fishing the same way as you?? Have you managed to see their rigs/bait/where they are casting to?

It may be something very simple and some of the guys who fish there may be prepared to help/advise.

Not a fan of inline leads in this sense but i guess some of the more knowledgeable ones than me on here are.....

Not sure about the stretch you fish to be honest - is it a wide deep stretch or a narrow/shallow one - it could be down to your river approach - spooking the fish as you approach - for example before i got some advice i would cast over half way/to the other side - stand up (almost announcing i was in my peg) and got bugger all - until i received some basics in rivercraft - how to approach the river - remembering on the rivers i was fishing casting to the far bank may work if towards a willow but into the "open" was unlikely to - my first few barbel came within minutes of this advice (i had tried for 2/3 years without success) - I caught them by creeping into the peg and gently (without any splash or noise) placing my bait 10 inches from the bank - WRAP - fish on - i was obviously spooking the fish as i approached and then casting into the wrong area as a result - perhaps give us some more info about the stretch etc.

If you cannot see what the others are doing try doing the opposite to what you are now, short hooklink with a large piece of meat on the hook (1/4 tin of Tulip)

You can always try two rods and rotate them to eliminate the "is it the right spot" and try different rigs.

Other option is to leave the gear behind and walk the stretch with polaroids and binos - chat with the other anglers, look for your own spot and then fish it or even pre bait :rolleyes:

I have fished it 3 times and always caught barbel quite easily in the weir pool.

Feeder pellet worked for me Marc, stick at it and Im sure you will have some.

Back