• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Help with weight guess.

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter

Anybody hazard a guess on the weight of this fish?

Caught by a pal on the Wye. Sparing his blushes.

Btw this is not a claimed anything.

Whatever the weight, it's a lovely Wye barbel Graham.
I don't know why, but the Wye fish often look impressive when photographed,..so I'm going to be really mean and say 9.14 !! :D

Whatever weight it is, that IS a lovely fish in stunning condition. However, the problem for me is this. Is this a genuine question, or are you being a naughty Graham? (as if :D:D). Is this in fact a test question, in view of all the recent 'That bloke is a joke, that fish never weighed what he said' type threads? Is that actually a fish you already know the weight of, and just want to see how bad us lot are at guessing the weight of a fish from a photo :D

Whatever, the photo is one of those awkward ones, whereby the fish is held out a bit, with the photographer (or the camera on a rest) up really close, with the lens on it's widest setting, hence the large hands...and that makes an accurate guess almost impossible. We have all done it, so I am not being critical, just stating a fact...it's a common mistake, and one which I for one learnt from in the past.

I would say that in view of its obviously wonderful condition, it's 'back to top weight' body, it is almost certainly a double, but exactly what, who knows?

Cheers, Dave.

Dave you are spot on, I hadn't noticed the hands till you pointed it out.
My first thought would have been about 11, but now looking at the shot again I am going for a low 9.

Shows how hard it is to guess weights from pics.

From 8.11 to 11+ guesses. Most 9 and a bit.

It was accurately weighed at 11.10. Gorgeous fish.

I've got a picture of one of my Thames fish at 13.12 that looks about 9.8! It's tough.

It's a corker and would welcome it pulling my string any day of the week :)

Am the same as Joe. Somewhere between 9 and 11lb give or take a few ounces. Very hard to say. Nice fish though.

Am the same as Joe. Somewhere between 9 and 11lb give or take a few ounces. Very hard to say. Nice fish though.

err......he's told us what it weighed yesterday Ian :D................

Shows how hard it is to guess weights from pics.

From 8.11 to 11+ guesses. Most 9 and a bit.

It was accurately weighed at 11.10. Gorgeous fish.

I've got a picture of one of my Thames fish at 13.12 that looks about 9.8! It's tough.

Back