• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Help Required - Easy Access Water

Paul Matthews

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Lads,
I am on the blag for a little info/help. I am due to have a bit of knee surgery (partial replacement) in May. Although this will restrict my activity for a few months the outcome should be far better than the arthritis I currently have.
The thing is, I quite like to get out for opening day and will probably still be unable to work around this time. Therefore I'm looking for somewhere with easy access and banks where I/we can fish possibly opening day or early in the 1st week for the price of a day ticket or half reasonable club membership.
I would consider anywhere within striking distance of Wiltshire within reason.
I know its a tall order, but hey ho !
Obviously the chance of a Barbel would be high on the list...............but not essential !
Pm me if preferred !
Thanks
Paul M.
Preferably not The Royalty, although it is an option..........

Hi Paul.

Sorry to hear about the knee problem.

Reading do Day tickets on a few venues that have car parks next to the river.

Ufton top car park can sometimes be ok for a fish or two.

Graham

Let me know if you want more info.

Sounds rough matey, if you get as far up as Reading/Maidenhead i will guest you on The Saint Patrick's Stream or the Loddon.................. i will even carry your kit to your chosen swim.

Cant guarantee a barbel though but it is a lovely place to cast a line.

LAA's water at Britford can be fished on a day ticket and the car park is right on the bank. The keeeper (Stuart) is very helpful but while the banks are flat, it can be a bit of a trek to some of the best swims (the weirpool below the Eel Trap is a popular spot for barbel but is several hundred yards from the car park).

Britford is located just off the A338 immediately south of Salisbury and Stuart can be contacted on 07847 109153. Day tickets were £10 I think but may have gone up since. Alternatively, annual membership of the LAA is £43, plus an additional charge of £15 for Britford.

Well worth a look and should be reasonably local to you.

Dave

I told you I'd take you to Monkton park many times and wheel you onto a platform. To be honest I was joking as you well know but who knows what's down there with a bit of prebaiting!

Paul, what you need is an invite on someone's boat on the Severn, you could sit down all day and gaze at the beautiful countryside and the chubby cheeks ;)

Might be a bit far out, but Walton on Thames just above the bridge there is a large car park, and you just have to cross the road to be on some potential Barbel swims, and it is free fishing.

He don't drive Steve and I'm his taxi will the boat take 3 fbs.

Hi men,

Clive , you three in a boat . Tell me where and when , and I'm there with a video camera , £250 from " you been framed " would come in handy :D.

Then I would be on hand to throw the life belts to you !.

Hatter

Cheeky gits ! I'm big boned and it might even need to take 4FB's if the really big man comes too lol.
Still managing a few steady miles on the bike, even if the knee is knackered !

No unfortunately Ian it's a Trek Hybrid Push Bike :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies so far chaps.
Dave, as far as Britford goes, I know it pretty well, but as you say the Barbel pegs involve a bit of a hike and less than a month post op I'm not sure that's an option I'm afraid :( I do love it there though ! Was put off this winter by the thought of wet chalk banks ! A tad slippery with a knackered knee !
Colin, never fished the Thames so like the sound of that one.........
Steve, 3 Fat Men in a Boat !? I feel a TV series coming on :D
Clive, Monkton Park ? We'd get 'Chavved Out' mate :D
Tom, thank you for the offer, very kind and I do like the sound of it too.......
And Graham, fished near there a fair bit, but never mustered a bite from the carpark swims...............Did better elsewhere though ;) did think of Reading as an option, fairly cheap book, flat banks, easy access and just up the A4 really...........
Once again, thanks all !
Paul M.

Hi men,

Top Barn on the Severn ?, park behind each swim , plenty of barbel , and lots of doubles out this season .

Hatter

Back