• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Help please

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen.

I need help. I have never caught a Barbel in my life and my good wife has suggested we go down to the Wye for a weekend, but more likely to be mid-week. Allowing me to fish for Barbel and she can take in all the sites and sounds of the region.

So where on the Wye should we head for with the primary object of me catching a Barbel and her having an enjoyable time? It is likely to be sometime during the summer because of her work commitments.

Any advise on location and recommended B & Bs etc would be very much appreciated, also advise on day tickets. I would most likely go down for a day just to have a look at areas you might suggest. I’m not looking to catch a double, anything from five pounds up would be great, but of course a double would be a real bonus.

Many thanks

David

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen.

I need help. I have never caught a Barbel in my life and my good wife has suggested we go down to the Wye for a weekend, but more likely to be mid-week. Allowing me to fish for Barbel and she can take in all the sites and sounds of the region.

So where on the Wye should we head for with the primary object of me catching a Barbel and her having an enjoyable time? It is likely to be sometime during the summer because of her work commitments.

Any advise on location and recommended B & Bs etc would be very much appreciated, also advise on day tickets. I would most likely go down for a day just to have a look at areas you might suggest. I’m not looking to catch a double, anything from five pounds up would be great, but of course a double would be a real bonus.

Many thanks

David
Evening David.

When I used to fish the Wye on a regular basis I used to stay at the White Lion Inn at Wilton Bridge in Ross on Wye. It's a good base in which to fish the Wye and Usk foundation fisheries , Ross or Hereford clubs day ticket stretches. Dave used to be the proprietor and he is a barbel angler so can point you in the right direction. Not expensive and was a decent ambience. More upmarket accomodation and meals are available over the road. Best of luck and I hope you do well and your wife has a pleasent stay. The locals are nice people and the countryside is beautiful.

Last edited:
David, I can't recommend accommodation but the Wye around Hereford has plenty of barbel to go at, day tickets from Woodys in the town centre plus he will give good advice on where to fish given the conditions at that time. Letton Court is very nice but £20 a day, check their facebook page or look at the Wye and Usk foundation website. If you let us know what area you are staying in then there are some others too.

Hi David. It’s been a few years, but I can recommend Benhall Farm just across the Wye from Ross. They do self-catering, but Carol and Simon’s B&B is excellent with inexpensive fishing across their fields by arrangement when you book. Check out their website. Good luck with the barbel.

Many thanks one and all. I now have a lot of infor process. Once I've been and fished I will let you know how I got on and of course if my wife is still speaking to me. ;) ;)

David, do early mornings and evenings and get your brownie points in during the day with the Missus,especially if its sunny. If you get a quiet stretch via B n B or Hotel feed heavy in the morning for the evening sessions. I used to do this on the Red Lion stretch back in the 90's early meal in the hotel or a take away and then down the river.

Back