• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Help Needed to identify a Normark Float Rod

Nicholas Cole

I have a 12ft Normark float or match rod which has two tips; a spliced carbon tip and a hollow carbon tip. Both the male and female spigots have a stainless steel band and the cork handle had 'reel fit' plastic winch fittings.

The rod is probably 20 - 30 years old and I'd be interested to know what model it is? It was bought as a blank and whipped up by a rodmaker in a Birmingham tackle shop from what I remember but there is no name or serial number on the blank.

Any clues?

Nic

Sorry, only just seen this. I think your rod is an NMB 1563. That stands for:

Normark Blank (NMB), 13ft (156"), 3 piece.

They were the first range of Normark rods that Omri Thomas brought back from Japan. He took it to Geoff Salisbury who did the spliced tip and changed the design slightly. It is the predecessor to the Norboron.

Hope this helps

Normark Rod

Andrew

Thanks for the reply. I don't think the code is right as it was a 12ft but it was an early model.

Sold now in any event (for a pittance) but is hopefully making someone happy,

Nic

Andrew

I was wondering if Normark made an Avenger 2000. I assume they did, but have never seen one for sale on ebay. I have the 1000 and MK 2 versions and would like to complete the set. Thanks.

Nick C

Andrew

I was wondering if Normark made an Avenger 2000. I assume they did, but have never seen one for sale on ebay. I have the 1000 and MK 2 versions and would like to complete the set. Thanks.

Nick C

They did make a Normark Avenger 2000, also Titan and Microlight. Proper Carlsberg rods.
Any queries ref Normark rods etc contact Exeter angling centre and speak to Geoff Salisbury or his son. He designed the 2000 range and before.

Andrew

Nick C

Good luck, hope you get lucky or your pockets are deep!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Normark-034-Avenger-034-2000-13ft-Fishing-Rod-/222233622585?hash=item33be27f839%3Ag%3AQlAAAOSwOdpXxG%7EU&nma=true&si=lblRaYqVQDiy7vrXg0kNy5IOPzs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

A small spanner in the works for you though. Three Avengers won't make the full set. If you get a 2000, you'll still be missing an original Avenger, a 3000 and a second Mk2 variant.

For some bizarre reason, there were two distinct versions labelled as Mk2. Gold tipped black whippings (and should have a 1ft extension and Cordura tube) indicates a second Mk2 (Masterline) rod (Avenger NCA13XT, Titan NCT13XT or Microlite NCM13XT). Green tipped black whippings would indicate an earlier Mk2 Avenger (NCA13X). The early Mk2 Titans (NCT13X) had blue tipped black whippings and the matching Microlite (NCM13X possibly NCM12X) were red tipped black.

I've been on the hunt for the Microlite (NCM12X/13X) for the best part of a year now. I've not seen one offered for sale anywhere.

Wow, that's a lot of dosh, don't think I'll bother at that price. My MK 2 (black with green tipped whippings) is good enough for me and at £150 in unused condition, is about as much as I'd like to pay. I thought only the Titans went for silly money but I was obviously wrong.

Nick C

I picked up what i am sure is a 10ft normark bomb rod ( small metal clip round the female joint) very very cheaply but the tip is too heavy/carbon,like 3 oz for a normal bomb rod, also managed to get another Normark soft tip section to fit it.The two original sections are exactly the same length so the power tip is unbroken.Just wondered if anyone knew what it was originally for,or a model number.Seems an ideal carp bomb rod now

Back