• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Help in the burton area...

Connor Smith

Hi guys, so as the title suggests I'm looking for a bit of help. Last week I found out I'm going to be working in Burton at the end of the month, for a good year or 2 at the old drake low powerstation. I was hoping to do a few nights in between work on the river whilst I was working away. So the problem I've got is I found out the local angling club is Burton mutual but they closed there membership at the start of the month, typical. Can anyone suggest another club not to far away or even a day ticket water I can do the odd night on. It would be much appreciated, maybe in return I could help someone out with areas on the middle severn.

No day tickets as I know off Connor, although there is a section in Burton that residents of Burton can fish for free. Not sure where it is though. How about Coors AC ?? They control lots of water in Burton it's self. There's Swadlincote AC a little further downstream. You have Derby Railway AC and Pride of Derby AC, further downstream still. I think any of those clubs are still taking on members.

As Simon has already mentioned, the right bank through Burton is a free section from just above the railway bridge at Waterside Road down to Newton Road Park and then there is a small section at Trent lane, Newton Solney. Barbel are scarce in this area, probably better looking lower down river and you also have the Derwent in Derby where you can get day tickets (Earl of Harrington). I would also recommend the clubs already mentioned. If your struggling, as a member of Burton Mutual I can get you a guest day ticket, but cannot guarantee you will catch anything 👍

No day tickets as I know off Connor, although there is a section in Burton that residents of Burton can fish for free. Not sure where it is though. How about Coors AC ?? They control lots of water in Burton it's self. There's Swadlincote AC a little further downstream. You have Derby Railway AC and Pride of Derby AC, further downstream still. I think any of those clubs are still taking on members.

Thanks Simon that's a great help, very much appreciated 👍

Thanks Carl, il have a look at the clubs mentioned and hopefully can start from there.
As Simon has already mentioned, the right bank through Burton is a free section from just above the railway bridge at Waterside Road down to Newton Road Park and then there is a small section at Trent lane, Newton Solney. Barbel are scarce in this area, probably better looking lower down river and you also have the Derwent in Derby where you can get day tickets (Earl of Harrington). I would also recommend the clubs already mentioned. If your struggling, as a member of Burton Mutual I can get you a guest day ticket, but cannot guarantee you will catch anything 👍

If you don't mind driving 45-60mins you would probably do better for barbel below Nottingham through to Newark. There are a number of day ticket waters, with differing reputations! Perhaps, Midland Angling Club who have water around Hoverigham or Nottingham Piscatorials water at Fiskerton. Details on their respective websites.

Hi conner,Do you get on site at the gate c entry or further towards burton?, The reason i ask is drakelow had a section of the trent alogside the intake building / pond, there were a few noted barbel pegs along there, and its been unfished for a long time, if you could get permission to fish ,there's carparking down by the intake pond ,about 30ft from the river, check it with google earth,
Regards

Derby Railway Angling Club are worth a look, they have a stretches a few miles downstream from Burton and you can pay a bit extra to get a

Hi conner,Do you get on site at the gate c entry or further towards burton?, The reason i ask is drakelow had a section of the trent alogside the intake building / pond, there were a few noted barbel pegs along there, and its been unfished for a long time, if you could get permission to fish ,there's carparking down by the intake pond ,about 30ft from the river, check it with google earth,
Regards
Thanks Jim, I haven't been up there yet as we don't start until the 1st but il be sure to check it out.

Back