• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Help coated braid drennan colour??

Jamie Armitage

Ive Been using Drennan sink braid and have been happy with it!.
But a couple of times this season ive had a fish has taken me to a snag and its cut and ive lost the fish.

Then that sick gutted feeling there is a fish is swimming round with a hook in it....

Is there a coated braid the same colour as the drennan or what do you suggest???

cheers jamie

Hello Jamie,

I'm a Drennan sink Braid user as well and regularly use it,but I had a similar incident to yourself a few seasons back and decided to have a look about for a coated braid of similar colour to the Sink braid,for when situations call for it. I eventually settled on the Gardner sly skin in Gravel/brown colour,which is similar to Sink braid in colouring.
Hope that may be of some use.

I have been using coated braid when fishing near snags for a while now.I can recommend PB Products jellywire in 15lbs.It comes in weed green or gravel brown,is very strong,knots well-I use a 5 turn grinner and retains it's colour ok.
http://www.fishingwarehouseshop.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/5755

I have just bought some of the new Korda N trap in 15lbs which initially looks very good.
http://www.korda.co.uk/news/?id=197,looking forward to trying it out.

Both of them are nice and supple and sink well.

The main difference between these and sink braid is they are a single strand type of construction when stripped back in comparison to the multi strand sink braid.

One thing to note is that both of these coated braids come in a minimum breaking strain of 15lbs so you need to fish with appropriate reel line.

If you worried about leaving a hook in the fish just use barbless, last few barbel I've caught I've had to remove big rusty barbed hooks from inside there mouths.As for coated braids the suffix ones are nice, camo fusion or sink skin, really cheap at erics.

Drennan sink braid is not all that abrasion resistant in my opinion I have used it and will continue to, but if I feel the need for a coated braid I use ESP Two tone its perfect in my opinion.

I have problems with tangles with ESP Sink Link when chucking to a narrow target and not being able to feather the cast, using a coated braid and stripping off the last few inches seems like a solution. Does that sound reasonable? When carping I'd also put tungsten putty in the coating to weight it down further.

If you worried about leaving a hook in the fish just use barbless, last few barbel I've caught I've had to remove big rusty barbed hooks from inside there mouths.As for coated braids the suffix ones are nice, camo fusion or sink skin, really cheap at erics.

just ordered a spool each of camfusion and heavy skin , £14 deliverd ;)

Thanks for the replies fella.

Mark i got my hands on gardner sly skin the colour is good but how do you get it to lye straight or flat ???
And do you have to take the coating off for the knots ie to the swivel??

Last edited:
Jamie - I use Sufix so, assuming it's the same, the braid tends to straighten out in the water (as unlikely as that seems at first). No, you don't need to strip for knotting, though I strip from an inch of the hook to aid presentation.

Back