• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Helicopter Rig

No problem, just to reinforce the leader has to have a spliced loop and connect to main line loop to loop, so the quick link/ hooklink can ride over the loops if you break the mainline. I have seen people use them with swivels and this is a death rig.
I use Gripz hooks as well as these will easily come out if I have a malfunction, but despite being barbless they penetrate and hold well and I've had no issues with them, yet release the pressure and they almost fall out in the net. Brilliant hook.
Thankfully the leader takes a lot of abuse and as no swinging leads or feeders it is less prone to getting caught up in snags

When using a leader, are you fishing your rods in the air, so the leader is coming up straight off the bottom, or more suited to semi slack lines meaning the leader will lay on the bottom?

I just fish according to flow - at the moment i keep them low as hardly any flow but no I want the leader pinned on the bottom so if there is flow I prefer to upstream or fish with a bow in the line if going downstream.
It's hard to explain but I don't fish bowstring tight, just enough to feel the lead , slight bend in the tip
Bit easier with 3ft on as the river more or less sorts it for you providing you pay out line.
With that rig, it's either a big twanging drop-back if upstreaming or a classic 3ft twitch if downstream as the hooklink is short and the lead is relatively heavy
They get pricked, lift the lead and they're off.

No problem, just to reinforce the leader has to have a spliced loop and connect to main line loop to loop, so the quick link/ hooklink can ride over the loops if you break the mainline. I have seen people use them with swivels and this is a death rig.
I use Gripz hooks as well as these will easily come out if I have a malfunction, but despite being barbless they penetrate and hold well and I've had no issues with them, yet release the pressure and they almost fall out in the net. Brilliant hook.
Thankfully the leader takes a lot of abuse and as no swinging leads or feeders it is less prone to getting caught up in snags
Agreed, definitely worth emphasising.

In addition to the top bead being able to slide up with minimal pressure, I've also been fishing with a size 8 swivel that can pass over the bead with pressure.
This gives an extra margin of safety in case there is a small tangle in the line which could foul the bead.

In my mind the top bead is only there to stop the hooklength sliding up the mainline/leader. From a bite indication perspective no top bead would be better as the lead would act like a fixed anchor point as per a running rig.

Back