• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Heated clothing

Having used heated insoles years ago,
To conserve battery power, turned them off when walking and back on when stopped or sitting down.The way some are advertised is that your feet will be toasting hot.For me It's a mild warmth that helped on very cold days.

Thought I'd start a new thread about this topic, I'm so excited 😂

Will report back when I have some useful feedback, so far I've charged the batteries and tried one on :p

My sister bought me a set , didn’t get that warm tbh, but the socks are 😂

My sister bought me a set , didn’t get that warm tbh, but the socks are 😂

Same ones Peter? There's lots of different ones about all claiming to do the same. Have to say I did feel the warmth from mine, not massively noticeable but definitely there.

Fished today actually and didn't bother with them since the forecast was for 8 degrees air temp, just in case anyone thinks I'm a big pansy who will only stop wearing them when it's 20 degrees 😅

Tried mine on with my slippers, they got quite warm on the high setting. Tried them with my dodgy calf in my muckmasters and they work well and fitted even with my joggers inside too.

is this stuff for an artic expedition ? as we haven't had a proper winter for years ???

god help some of you wimps if we do get a proper winter LMAO

incoming ? 🤔 😂😂

It's fair comment really Gerry, in my 30's I was happily carp fishing in freezing temps to minus 8 (caught 2 x 30's that night too!), but last few years I've somewhat turned into a bit of a whuss 😂

Tried mine on with my slippers, they got quite warm on the high setting. Tried them with my dodgy calf in my muckmasters and they work well and fitted even with my joggers inside too.

I had mine on the other day over normal socks, with thick merino wool long johns and combat pants on, and all that tucked inside relatively snug fitting Grubs boots. Didn't feel the battery dig in at all. Very surprised.

is this stuff for an artic expedition ? as we haven't had a proper winter for years ???

god help some of you wimps if we do get a proper winter LMAO

incoming ? 🤔 😂😂

Cold feet are cold feet, and once cold, I find it difficult to warm up. Working outside for the last 30 odd years, I'll take anything I can to keep warm. It's pissing it down now and we've another day out in it.

Just an update on the socks as I donned them again yesterday...

Not quite so positive, although not particularly fault of the sock. The air temp was forecast to be quite low yesterday, anywhere from 2 to 6 degrees in the time that was I out (frosty start, mild in the middle, cold again as the sun went down). Was planning to be out from about 11am to 4pm so set the socks to the medium setting to make sure they lasted.

During the course of the day, I did feel the chill at times in my legs and body, but not in my feet! So all good there. As the sun started to fade I thought I would access the power packs and wapp them up to full power for the last hour or so in an attempt to keep the whole of me feeling toasty. Well, I certainly felt the extra warmth in my feet! However, what was disappointing was that just before I left, the heel on one of my feet felt cold and I was certain the battery had died in that foot.

Back at the car, the power was still on so as much as the socks kept the toe area warm (and they were warm to touch back at the car), the rear of my foot had started to get that cold numb uncomfortable feeling. Also, having had say 3 hours at medium, and 1.5 hours at max power, the batteries were about done.

So in summary, the socks did the job for the majority of time I was out, but I had hoped they would keep the entire foot warm. I also bought them to offer comfort for short winter sessions of 3 or 4 hours so less concerned about the battery life being depleted. I think in hindsight I should have just left them on medium for the duration and I would have been amply comfortable.

I had my insoles on last week. Kept them on the low setting and while my feet were not what I would class as hot, they weren't the usual freezing cold either. For me, I think I'll always use them on the low setting, just because the battery will last longer and I'll have some warmth from the insoles.

I also purchased and tried the same socks when out on the middle Trent on Tuesday. I have always struggled with poor circulation in my feet, so was inspired by the encouraging reports.

I set them up at mid-strength at around 11.00 a.m. while unloading the car and tackling up; and was really delighted by the welcome result (i.e. my feet felt very comfortabler/never cold throughout most of the day, but not necessarily toasting hot) . I planned to stay 'til after dark and, eventually I noticed my toes starting to feel the cold around 6.00 p.m. as I was packing up.

All-in-all a very satisfactory result, which was more than the fishing itself.....yet another blank!!

Christmas cheers to all.

3rd go with mine today, 5 hours stillwater piking (no fish :( 😅).

Granted it's not freezing out, 5 or 6 degrees air temp but no sun so felt chilly. Set socks on medium. I've had lovely toasty feet all the time I've been out. 2 bars power remaining when back to car. They certainly add another layer of warmth and comfort if you do feel the chill.

All good today 😊

I've just put my insoles on in the house!!

My feet got cold earlier today and they haven't warmed up since, so put my insoles in my slippers. We have slate floors in our kitchen where we spend most of our time and the tiles are cold. Brrrr!

I've had to return my insoles, one of them didn't appear to be charging properly. When they were switched on after a nights charging, one of the neon lights would just flash rather than a constant light. With the warmth off them being subtle, it was hard to know if they were still working or not. Got a refund.

I had my heated socks on on Monday while fishing, all I can say is it was bloody cold. Toes definitely warm but my heels got chilly at the end. I did fish a good hour into dark and my gear was covered in frost as I packed away. Shame the heating element doesn't cover the entire foot. Might get some heat pads to go under the heel for those extra chilly days. Then again, I might just not bother going fishing on those days as I generally catch bugger all!! 🤣

Back