• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

HEADLAMPS the ultimate !

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
HEADLAMPS

People that know me know I have a passion for headlamps after over 50 years of carp fishing I have owned and used pretty much every headlamp going ( apart from the ridgemonkey looked at one its way too heavy uncomfortable well overpriced IMO ) I would not buy one ever

including 3 different Led Lensers poweful (is there a need ? )
I bought them when I was fishing giant french lakes at 200 plus yards with a baitboat and tey are well overpriced IMO I had 2 different Petzel good but now dated

and Fennex good but no red light option a couple of very good Coleman ones good specs

,Snap on tool one and 4 different energisers all good budget lamps that get better with every new model
and a buckefull of other cree chinese lamps etc probably around 25 different headlamps in total so I DO know a bit about headlamps !

and I dont just blindly recommend the one I happen to own like a lot of folk

I now how found what I consider the very best headlamp for fishing available bar none !

the criteria for a decent headlamp is ... it must have a red light option to preserve your natural night vision and stop hoards of insects attracted to a white light
the buttons must be simple you dont want to start poncing around cycling thru options Weight very important you want the lightest possible I sleep wearing mine
battery life should be good and easily rechargeable

and so please take a moment and scroll thru this web page if you need a new headlamp this is without question the BEE`s KNEE`s .....IMHO its winning awards from all non Angling sections bushcraft trail walkers etc YOUTUBE has a few videos on it SHOP AROUND I bought mine then saw one cheaper on Ebay but I got mine here https://gb.lightmalls.com/buy/NU25 took about 10 days
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NU25-360...856152?hash=item42025350d8:g:bWYAAOSwqbZc93IR

LOOKS LIKE THIS

Last edited by a moderator:
They make some great lights nitecore, I've got the nitecore tip keyring light and it's incredible for the size of the thing. I'll have a look at this, thanks Gerry.

I've just bought a cree for less than a tenner for beach fishing, seriously good, rechargeable and I can't see it going kaput anytime soon.

It was a punt but I think I've struck lucky!!

The batteries supplied claim to be 4200 Mah and not 2600Mah as in the pic but I tend to think that may be an exagerrated claim.

Looks a fabulous bit of kit and clearly you know your stuff having owned so many.
The only thing that would put me off personally is the fact it’s a built in rechargeable battery. Despite the extra cost involved (replacement about 2x a year) I like the fact I’ve got spare batteries on me to swap out when needed.
The other thing about it being a built in battery is lithium ion batteries as we know have a shelf life. If your not charging them regularly they are not happy and if you are charging them regularly they only have a certain number of charge cycles in them until they are throw away. In this case the whole item. My light probably wouldn’t excite many people as it’s an obsolete petzl Atex I’ve had 15 years and has been to war and back coming from my on site welding days. It’s now my fishing light and I absolutely love it.
It’s got a piece of misted Perspex that slides in front of the beam to create a very unobtrusive muffled down type light very good for fishing where you don’t want the beam cast across the water. Not exactly high tech but such a great idea.
I’ve got nothing else to compare this too so I may well be missing out however I absolutely love this torch it’s been a proper example of good service.

Attachments

• 904AE639-7671-43E8-8A6C-3C16DFE06C15.jpeg
    904AE639-7671-43E8-8A6C-3C16DFE06C15.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 298
  • CCFB35A4-C5CF-4430-AD22-DCF006FA873A.jpeg
    CCFB35A4-C5CF-4430-AD22-DCF006FA873A.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 287
  • 5E498278-AE8F-4AD7-8760-2E490E39A4EC.jpeg
    5E498278-AE8F-4AD7-8760-2E490E39A4EC.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 297
I’m still rocking the 3 led energizer. I like it cause it’s a switch to flick between red and white. No cycling though. Plus it isn’t crazy bright which I like. Wouldn’t mind one similar as it’s seen better days though

Looks a fabulous bit of kit and clearly you know your stuff having owned so many.
The only thing that would put me off personally is the fact it’s a built in rechargeable battery. Despite the extra cost involved (replacement about 2x a year) I like the fact I’ve got spare batteries on me to swap out when needed.
The other thing about it being a built in battery is lithium ion batteries as we know have a shelf life. If your not charging them regularly they are not happy and if you are charging them regularly they only have a certain number of charge cycles in them until they are throw away. In this case the whole item. My light probably wouldn’t excite many people as it’s an obsolete petzl Atex I’ve had 15 years and has been to war and back coming from my on site welding days. It’s now my fishing light and I absolutely love it.
It’s got a piece of misted Perspex that slides in front of the beam to create a very unobtrusive muffled down type light very good for fishing where you don’t want the beam cast across the water. Not exactly high tech but such a great idea.
I’ve got nothing else to compare this too so I may well be missing out however I absolutely love this torch it’s been a proper example of good service.

I really dont know where you get the absurd idea the rechargeable pack will only last 6 months ? LOL a friend that alerted me to this lamp has been using it well over a year he goes for 3 or 4 night sessions and its never run out
it will actually from flat recharges in 2 hours !!!
he uses his little powerpack that charges his mobile phone if he goes for a French 2 week trip or the car fag lighter in the day

I could bang on about very good lamps for under a tenner

BUT !!!!!!!!! the idea of this thread (( The clue is in the thread title)) 🥴 👍 :)

I really dont know where you get the absurd idea the rechargeable pack will only last 6 months
Gerry I didn’t say the rechargeable pack would only last six months you need to read my post properly.
When I said despite the extra cost involved I was referring to MY extra cost of replacing the batteries which i do twice a year.
Nothing at all whatsoever about the life span on the light you posted which I agreed looked awesome and for me personally I said I don’t like built in batteries and gave reasons why.
No need to jump to conclusions or read something that isn’t there

Gerry I didn’t say the rechargeable pack would only last six months you need to read my post properly.
When I said despite the extra cost involved I was referring to MY extra cost of replacing the batteries which i do twice a year.
Nothing at all whatsoever about the life span on the light you posted which I agreed looked awesome and for me personally I said I don’t like built in batteries and gave reasons why.
No need to jump to conclusions or read something that isn’t there

Oh sorry I miss understood your post thought it was weird ? lol

thats another senior moment.....= stage one next stage I will start smellin of stale pee 😭

I have ordered one of the torches that Gerry has recommended using the eBay link.

I have been using Energizer head torches, which are cheap as chips, for many years. They do have a red light option but you have to click through 4 white light options first (shame they didn't put red first). I much prefer the Energizers to the even older Petzl torches I have and I even bought the kids one each for camping trips when they were still prepared to go camping.

Looking forward to getting the new headtorch. I think the level of illumination will be much better than the Energizer - but I will keep an Energizer in my bag as a back up just in case of any mishaps and, perhaps, because I have a growing understanding of what its like to be surplus to requirements!

I have ordered one of the torches that Gerry has recommended using the eBay link.

I have been using Energizer head torches, which are cheap as chips, for many years. They do have a red light option but you have to click through 4 white light options first (shame they didn't put red first). I much prefer the Energizers to the even older Petzl torches I have and I even bought the kids one each for camping trips when they were still prepared to go camping.

Looking forward to getting the new headtorch. I think the level of illumination will be much better than the Energizer - but I will keep an Energizer in my bag as a back up just in case of any mishaps and, perhaps, because I have a growing understanding of what its like to be surplus to requirements!
hope you will impressed and after using it give an honest review :cool: 👍

I've ordered one as I am a sucker for a head torch but they rarely impress me. Lets give it a go then.

Hi @Gerry Giles
The major negative point about my own torch is there is no coloured beam to keep my vision adjusted to night. If I was to go hunting for another torch it would definitely have a coloured beam.
So picking your brains which colour preserves night vision best. Red, green?

Hi @Gerry Giles
The major negative point about my own torch is there is no coloured beam to keep my vision adjusted to night. If I was to go hunting for another torch it would definitely have a coloured beam.
So picking your brains which colour preserves night vision best. Red, green?

I know their is evidence that green has a similar effect but Im not sure that green is as good as red for deterring insects ?

I have been using the Energizer 300 lumen powered by 3 x AAA batteries for the last two seasons and it provides a very bright focussed beam which can be adjusted to a broad beam or turned off and replaced by a red light. They have just brought out a 400 lumen rechargeable which looks tempting.

Try Alpkit for cost/ value, but if you have the money Petzl NAO, use it for night nav in the mountains and it’s amazing how much light it gives out

Shame Alpkit stopped doing the Gamma head torch which was amazing. Ive still got mine but have had to tape the unit together as it is falling apart.

Shame Alpkit stopped doing the Gamma head torch which was amazing. Ive still got mine but have had to tape the unit together as it is falling apart.

They do a gamma lll, can't tell if they've improved the battery compartment from the picture as that's poor on the original. Mine's held shut with elastic bands!
Got a few new one's that look interesting.

Back