• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Head torches

Petzl. Not necessarily the brightest or cheapest, but they keep working for years and don't eat batteries.

I bought a cheap cree torch off ebay as recommended on this site (which could actually be used for spotting low flying aircraft!) but only ever use it as a back-up. I have a relatively cheap and cheerful Energiser with the option of a red LED to conserve my night vision which has never let me down.

In our quest for barbel we are advised by the experts to spend our time moving quietly on the banks, in camouflage gear and use light weights etc so as not to spook the fish. Why then do we see it fit to use a torch that is capable of illuminating the opposite bank of big rivers such as the Trent?

Petzl for me also, it does the job nicely and as Chris said it does'nt eat batteries.

Times 2.

Always take two with me , a uni-com extreme, that I dropped in the river , only to be found still shinning and intact [ and still works to this day] and a newer coleman that has a few settings including the miserly green and red option , both use small rechargeable batteries.

Got 2 Alpkit Gammas excellent Alpkit are releasing new torches in June/July much brighter look forward to getting one.

Another vote for the Alpkit Gamma, can't fault them. Have used various Petzls and Energizers (which are good value for the money) and the Gamma wins hands down.

I have a Petzl Tikka which I only carry as a spare, white only and fiddly switch. Bought it for the BFW Loddon fish-in in 2002, once left in a fishery car park overnight peeing with rain, pal found it next day and still works ok .................

But prefer Energiser, two white and one red, switch one way for white, t'other for red.

I can't see the point of bright lights when fishing, I rarely use anything but the red. White is ok for walking but most places I fish it just isn't that dark, so much ambient light from towns (I fish usually until midnight or 1am). Ain't old enough to remember the Blitz :p, but some anglers light up the sky like they were searching for the bl##dy Luftwaffe :mad:

I like the Alpkit, but wish they would sort out the brittle plastic on the battery casing. I've had three that have broken where the battery case clips shut. Anyone else had this problem?

Currently trying out the Petzl Tactikka (latest version) at three times the cost. It doesn't eat batteries as quickly as the Alpkit Gamma and gives you a warning when the batteries lose power. However its fiddly to get the red light to come on and the main beam is too wide and tends to spread the light too much. Think i'll repair the Alpkit and use that next season.

LED Lenser are good. The batteries in my head torch lasted at least a couple of seasons before I last changed them.

I bought the Alpkit after the recommendations on here and find it excellent. No breakage yet and batteries seem to last well

I like the Alpkit, but wish they would sort out the brittle plastic on the battery casing. I've had three that have broken where the battery case clips shut. Anyone else had this problem?

Currently trying out the Petzl Tactikka (latest version) at three times the cost. It doesn't eat batteries as quickly as the Alpkit Gamma and gives you a warning when the batteries lose power. However its fiddly to get the red light to come on and the main beam is too wide and tends to spread the light too much. Think i'll repair the Alpkit and use that next season.

Yes, same problem. I bought two Aplkit Gammas on recommendation from a friend, great torches, but both have broken where the battery case clips shut. My friend had the same problem with his as well!

Petzl. Went through several until I got a petzl about 5 years ago. Will never need to replace it unless I lose it or break it.

Back