• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hayfever

Vincent Coulson

anyone else being defeated by this annoying thing? :D

Any old wives tales or remedies, as i can survive for about 30 minutes outside at presnt, before becoming a swollen, sneezing mess :eek:

I had my first sneezing fit of the year on Friday. I was beginning to think I wasn't going to be affected this year. I really should have known better.:(
Started taking the pills and they are working. None of the modern stuff is any use at all to me. Good old fashioned Phenergan does the trick but it's a PITA to get a doctor to prescribe it and pharmacists tend to give you a grilling when you try to buy it.

Have suffered from this for years, however last year I found the secret (for me anyway). One a day hayfever tablets from Tesco (Loratadine not Ceterizine) coupled with Becanase nasal spray in the morning and at night, and if at night you still suffer take a Nytol!

Its worked for me last year and this year (so far) and I wouldnt be without out it late spring/summer!

Cheers
Adam

I had my first sneezing fit of the year on Friday. I was beginning to think I wasn't going to be affected this year. I really should have known better.:(
Started taking the pills and they are working. None of the modern stuff is any use at all to me. Good old fashioned Phenergan does the trick but it's a PITA to get a doctor to prescribe it and pharmacists tend to give you a grilling when you try to buy it.

What mg of Phenergan do you take Chris - can you not buy it online.

What mg of Phenergan do you take Chris - can you not buy it online.

10mg. No idea if you can buy it on-line. I'm loathe to try as I'm not particularly trusting of internet pharmaceuticals and I can get it for free if I plead enough to the doc.;)

I suffer from hayfever and used to get the symptoms really badly, itchy eyes, blocked nose etc.

I have got rid of them completely by taking the Beconase nasal spray from the end of April onwards. This may seem a little early in the year however I think you build up a resistance by the time the pollen count really goes up. If you stick to the dosage religiously i.e. two sprays each nostril when you get up and then the same in the evening it does work.

Sam

A cheap remedy is :- rub some vaseline or similar around the nasal cavaties, it catches the the pollen before its inhaled. Works for me anyways. :)

Have suffered from this for years, however last year I found the secret (for me anyway). One a day hayfever tablets from Tesco (Loratadine not Ceterizine) coupled with Becanase nasal spray in the morning and at night, and if at night you still suffer take a Nytol!

Its worked for me last year and this year (so far) and I wouldnt be without out it late spring/summer!

Cheers
Adam

The above is good advice - my son is Analphylatic to food and environs and has Ceterzine (good stuff) and this covers most of his minor allergic issues.

Myself a long time sufferer (hayfever) actually listend to the wife and I start taking the medicines one month before I normally start (last week in May grass pollen) - this year I started in mid april.

Nasal Spray in the morning and one Telfast tablet.

The idea is get the Antihistamines in you system up before you need them and then you body can cope better. I know this as I used to take the same medicines before at higher dosage when I was suffering (trying to make them work not on Dr's advice) and it did not work.

Done it the last three years and I'm fishing with no issue other than the occasinal sneeze. Used to get to the point I was bed ridden and had breathing problems, chest infections and had an asthma inhaler prescribed.

Bit late for this year but you can try it next - worked for me never been happier with hayfever. Now the wife is a different story.......

I concur with Steve. I read similar advice, that you should always start taking medication before the hayfever season starts. So this year I started in late March, taking a Loratadine pill (Morrisons' own brand) every morning without fail. So far it's worked really well, the only time I have had trouble is the day that I forgot to take one. I usually sneeze a few times when I get up though before the medication kicks in. Otherwise, great.

I concur with other members, keep on taking the pills. I started sneezing in late march. Started taking loratadine one at night only and have only sneezed the once when i forgot to take my medication.
Keep on it:)

Bit late with advice but I've started using Loratadine (sainsbuys own £1.09p) none drowsy vasaaline and good pair wrap round sun glasses . Shades for eyes vasaline for nose. Start taking start BST end March finsh Bank holiday Monday- well worth trying.

Malc "can't catch":):)

i suffer from hayfever very badly, after years of taking clarityn and being prescribed neo-clarityn (strong clarytin) i still struggled until i was introduced to "pollena" which is boot's own herbal hayfever medicine. it is not found amongst the other hayfever tablets but in the "alternate" medicine section. It works better than anything i have tried before and u can take more than just one or 2 a day. Also combine this with a bit of vaseline around your nostrils and keep your sunglasses on!! hope this is some help

regards, bw

Becanase nasal spray is excellent but you need to use it every day and not just when you feel ill, I start useing mine around march time untill the end of summer and works great.
Andy

Nice to hear that Beconase is working for people. It's one of the many things that I've tried over the years. All it did for me was give me a cough to go with the hayfever.:(

until i was introduced to "pollena" which is boot's own herbal hayfever medicine. it is not found amongst the other hayfever tablets but in the "alternate" medicine section. It works better than anything i have tried before and u can take more than just one or 2 a day.
My boss swears by Pollena. I tried it for a while, but it wasn't as effective for me as Loratadine, but then I may have started taking it too late in the season.

well i though i was cured last year after sticking to infared prongs up my nose worked for a bit but benn on tabs this year but they make me feel tired all the time

I should know better, but every year i wait until the grass pollen affects me. From now on i will take the wife's advice and start early with the tablets to get them into my system. I have found Loratadine to be more affective than Ceterezine tablets ( Tesco's own ) My wife also suffers from hay fever and joins me on the occational barbel session. But as she is pregnant she is only alowed to take the old style Piriton tablets, which are proven to be safe. She only found this out through research on the net, as the doctor had told her there was nothing she could take. So until recently she has really suffered.

Back