• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Having to go the extra yard...

Shaun Nurse

My friends say that I am a bit mad when it comes to catching Barbel, but I don`t like losing them if I can really help it. No doubt everyone agrees?? I have put a new blog in the "Blogs" pages, and yes I had a SPLASHING time!!:(:D

Shaun - you won't find many barbel anglers who actually like losing them. Though I guess, as in most walks of life, there are those who will go to extraordinary lengths in order to eliminate something that rarely happens anyway. I merely make sure the hook is sharp and the knots are tied correctly. :)

Very True Rich, but, just the day before yesterday a friend was telling me how he spoke to an "angler" who was quite happy about the fact that he had scaled right down for bites. Only to lose "6" barbel and land "5", he had to leave the river because he had "ran out of hooks"!!:confused: The poor fish...:(

Granty will be along with 5000 words anytime now :)

The "lucky" anglers do seem to be the ones who put more thought, time and effort in

Lots of occasions when I've wished i could get in the wet stuff to help land or free a fish, but for most of the season a paddle in the wye is potential suicide -especially at night, and especially if alone.

fair play to you though shaun - going that extra yard is what its all about.
(i'm sure your experienced and intelligent enough to measure the risk on the waters you fish)

Thanks Marty, I see your point with the Wye!! Hopefully I would be best able to see when it`s safe and when not..;) Certain risks are best not taken.:)

Back