• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Have you ever caught a barbel on one of these?

Tim Marks

Senior Member & Supporter
489784CF-10B3-4680-9374-FB681F4C97E0.jpeg

About 4.5cm long and attached to a 50cm wire trace.

I retrieved it from the throat of a decent fish I caught this season…..

I remember reading Dick Walker and maybe Peter Stone talking about using fish baits for barbel in early season….

In the past Ive had several tench on spinners and a 7lb bream on a spoon, all by accident. Also chub on lures by design.

And (lots of) carp on deadbaits, all as bycatch.

I had a barbel on the Trent take a large spinner bait,and on the Idle I’ve had one one a soft plastic crayfish intended for perch.
And caught one intentionally on a chunk of lamprey.
I fish small cranks for chub and perch,but not had a follow from a barbel as far as I know.

View attachment 25412
About 4.5cm long and attached to a 50cm wire trace.

I retrieved it from the throat of a decent fish I caught this season…..

I remember reading Dick Walker and maybe Peter Stone talking about using fish baits for barbel in early season….

In the past Ive had several tench on spinners and a 7lb bream on a spoon, all by accident. Also chub on lures by design.

And (lots of) carp on deadbaits, all as bycatch.

I remember my dad telling me he had a few on gudgeon whilst live baiting on the Thames, fishing for pike in the 60s.

Caught one on a bigger lure once. Was reeling in and all of a sudden I was in. Was playing the fish for a bit and got it under the rod tip then the lure came out the water but couldn’t see a fish. One of the trebles had somehow gone through a lead clip where the line runs through and there was about 5 foot of line below it with a barbel attached to the rig. Was nice to have caught it and freed it before it got snagged on something

I once caught a barbel on the Bristol Avon with a plug and it was hooked fairly and squarely in the mouth.
They are definitely predatory at times as I found at the lower end of the Bristol Avon many years ago that eels were part of their diet. I’ve caught chub there that have been feeding on them as you would expect but was a little surprised that barbel were also eating them. There were an awful lot of eels in the lower river in those days so they were probably a significant part of their diet at the time.
The eels I saw that had been eaten were about the size of a large lobworm or a little bigger.

Back