• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Has the retirement area of UK anglers changed?

I certainly envy the beauty of the HA and Dorset river areas..but my God. Traffic a nightmare with more speed cameras in a couple of miles than in the whole of Herefordshire.

Yes, coming from the Smoke or busy parts of the country is quite a change, and takes getting used to for some. But.
It's a beautiful county where people chat to you, wave as they pass on some of the tight rural roads.

Ha,.. you're not wrong there mate,... driving around Bournemouth reminds me of negotiating Croydon in perpetual rush hour.!
I read somewhere recently that Bournemouth was the most congested town outside London! ....I was used to the M25 though.:eek:
When we were popping down to one of your local stretches the other weekend I half expected to see a horse and cart trotting along the lanes,.. another world indeed.
As I said to you at the time, you and Jane made a great move. Lin and I would not want to return to our old lives and most of my waking hours are spent in quite contemplation beside the river,.. but the traffic is probably the only downer.
Unless you've got unlimited pots of dosh I think life is full of compromises and we just have to choose a path between the swings and roundabouts, heads and hearts etc.
Having the determination to take a punt on a new life chapter is both exciting and rewarding I reckon,... those of us that are both brave and fortunate enough to be able to give it a go are all variations on the same theme.:)

Graham promotes Herefordshire very eloquently and it's pretty much everything the family have experienced so far. It's been very easy to feel at home here and the genuine warmth from the locals has certainly contributed to that. I can also see that in time I will get to the same sentiment as far as the barbel fishing is concerned which seems mad on one level, but eventually the need for variety will surface. But thankfully it seems the Wye can deliver that in spades. My love of grayling will be somewhat harder to satisfy but just means putting in a bit more effort.

Ha,.. you're not wrong there mate,... driving around Bournemouth reminds me of negotiating Croydon in perpetual rush hour.!
I read somewhere recently that Bournemouth was the most congested town outside London! ....I was used to the M25 though.:eek:
When we were popping down to one of your local stretches the other weekend I half expected to see a horse and cart trotting along the lanes,.. another world indeed.
As I said to you at the time, you and Jane made a great move. Lin and I would not want to return to our old lives and most of my waking hours are spent in quite contemplation beside the river,.. but the traffic is probably the only downer.
Unless you've got unlimited pots of dosh I think life is full of compromises and we just have to choose a path between the swings and roundabouts, heads and hearts etc.
Having the determination to take a punt on a new life chapter is both exciting and rewarding I reckon,... those of us that are both brave and fortunate enough to be able to give it a go are all variations on the same theme.:)

Plenty of horses and carts round here... normally those bloody chariot things racing down Ringwood Road.

Try North lincs formally south humberside

Great property prices rural but with good access to goods and services spoilt for choice of tackle shops , good access too sea and river fishing, we live just the other side of the Humber bridge . Numerous Barbel rivers are not too far away including the mighty Tidal trent.

Interesting thread, and interesting for me as a, ahem, "younger" poster (although 40 is just on the horizon), with my retirement age being that much older (currently 67, fully expecting that to have moved again by the time I get there, and not much chance of me retiring any sooner unless I win the lottery). So, to make the maths simple, let's just say I've got another 30 years before I retire. Assuming I make it to that age, and in reasonable health, I wonder what things will be like for me as an angler, and for anglers in general then.

I currently live in an area where I don't really have much right on the doorstep, but withing an hour's drive either way I have most of the Bristol Avon, and the Somerset levels, both of which cater to my current angling needs and, aside from catfish, I'm not really left wanting for anything else. So, logically, when I retire I'll stay put, right?

BUT, 30 years is a long time and a lot can happen. All the BA barbel could go, properly this time. All the pike could disappear. Hell, fishing might even be banned outright by then.

Too depressing for me to think about. Much like when I'll be able to retire!

Steve I remember 40, just about...for me it was all about work/career and i did not get to fish that often looking back, which was a mistake. So as the future is a big unknown make the most of it, certainly fishing wise, as time allows... you never know the Somerset levels might be one big lake in 25 years time :)

Interesting thread, and interesting for me as a, ahem, "younger" poster (although 40 is just on the horizon), with my retirement age being that much older (currently 67, fully expecting that to have moved again by the time I get there, and not much chance of me retiring any sooner unless I win the lottery). So, to make the maths simple, let's just say I've got another 30 years before I retire. Assuming I make it to that age, and in reasonable health, I wonder what things will be like for me as an angler, and for anglers in general then.

I currently live in an area where I don't really have much right on the doorstep, but withing an hour's drive either way I have most of the Bristol Avon, and the Somerset levels, both of which cater to my current angling needs and, aside from catfish, I'm not really left wanting for anything else. So, logically, when I retire I'll stay put, right?

BUT, 30 years is a long time and a lot can happen. All the BA barbel could go, properly this time. All the pike could disappear. Hell, fishing might even be banned outright by then.

Too depressing for me to think about. Much like when I'll be able to retire!

At 31 I can honestly relate to this. Recent suggestions are for us to be retiring with a pot of £250k, laughable with the interest rates offered. How can you save that when most are barely covering their living expenses. At present I'm set to retire at 67 with a annual pay out of £8k, that's not going to go far. It really is a concern. I'm not convinced I will actually get a retirement.

I'm sure a number of the anglers involved with the Sayers meadow syndicate on the Wensum felt just the same way Stephen. Invest in you local fishery so that you have somewhere special to retire on then look at what happened,sorry to bring that up.Maybe its time to look further afield,look at what John Wilson did

Mark,.. sobering thoughts there. We've already mentioned the NBroads,.. I feel gutted for those guys who put in the work on the Wensum,.. that amount of commitment was inspirational and they deserved a result.
It seems that there are no long term certainties with angling, and I can understand why the two Steves are given to wonder what things will be like in 30 years time. Some of these things are cyclical so let's hope for the best, but after gazing at 4 mauled good barbel today I worry.

I consider my self lucky when it comes to my fishing :) Where I live the Severn and the W/Avon is not far away . The Wye is about a 1 hours drive :)

I retired when I was 65 and have my state pension and was lucky enough to have a private pension as well .
I feel sorry for all you guys that will miss out at being able to retire at 65 now the retirement age has changed .

I'm a way off it yet at nearly 48, but I'm in a Local Government scheme, so it's possible i could get to my personal pension by 55, depends if I could afford to live on it. I'd like to get a three day a week job then if I could, so 4 days off every week. Not sure if id move though really, although it would be nice to live in the countryside....living in yam-yam baggies land as I do, I can on the Upper, Middle and Lower Severn, WA, or Upper trent, all of those with 45 mins. Could be worse.

Back