• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Harrison MUR 12FT 2LB v Torrix 12ft 2lb

Lee Williams

anyone aware of the difference between the two, anyone used either, am in the market for a pair of either and wondered what the difference was, price isnt really an issue, as I work in a shop and get a hefty discount

Ive just picked up a 12' 2lb torrix for bream and tench fishing 65 - 80 meters. I've had a wiggle and it feels like it has quite a thorough action, would it be up to long casts with heavy (ish) feeders?

Ive just picked up a 12' 2lb torrix for bream and tench fishing 65 - 80 meters. I've had a wiggle and it feels like it has quite a thorough action, would it be up to long casts with heavy (ish) feeders?

with braid easy but a struggle with heavy mono, my mate uses them but after a session on linear where we both had to cast 70yds with mono he really struggled with the torrix compared to the new drennan tench and bream 2lbers what I was using. for me they are more of a river lobbing it out rod rather than a distance stillwater rod

I'm going to be using it mostly on the lower bits of the middle and the lower severn with odd trips to Collingham, do you think it will be upto Collingham work

with braid easy but a struggle with heavy mono, my mate uses them but after a session on linear where we both had to cast 70yds with mono he really struggled with the torrix compared to the new drennan tench and bream 2lbers what I was using. for me they are more of a river lobbing it out rod rather than a distance stillwater rod

Cheers. I thought that might the case. I’ll be using braid and mini big pits, but I’d rather not struggle to reach the distance. What’s the playing action like on the Drennans?

Sorry to hijack the thread!

I reckon you will be alright with braid and big reels, be worth trying. The drennans to be honest are a hefty 2lb rod with big well spaced eyes so they cast very well even with mono

Korum 2.2 experts. I think they were developed by Trent barbel anglers. I use them for both barbel and tench,they seem a good compromise rod. Still nice to play a small barbel on and can equally chuck a kamasan black cap 80yrds on a gravel pit.

Jason have you used those drennans for barbel? Do like the look of those, and as all the drennan rods I've ever owned were quality I could be tempted.

I read somewhere that the 2lb Drennans started life as barbel rods. I’m not sure whether that’s true or not

Mark I haven't used them for barbel simply because they look like a carp rod and I have a pair of the sonik 2.2s that I use on the rivers. At a guess the may be the martin bowler barbel rods dressed up differently but who knows. I have a prototype drennnan 2lb tench rod that is exactly the same as the new ones only difference being the prototype has a nice weave along it, apparently that rod was to expensive to put into production.

like you mark I really like the expert 2.2's but I sold them on as the tips kept breaking on the cast, korum replaced them but I just didn't trust them anymore. not doing bthem any more but I think the neoterics are coming back out in a 2.2 though. Dai was testing them in the summer at linear.

some good points there, I fancied some custom builds as our man who builds them makes a beautiful rod, and I can get claret and blue whippings and a st george and my name on them, itll nice to own something unique, I remember having to buy tackle on a VERY tight budget once, now money isnt really an issue I want something nice to remind me of the hard work that went into earning the money

Lee.
I have been really happy with my 2lb Torrix 12ft rods.

They have accounted for a number of carp over 45lb. Pike into 20's and big barbel.

They were also ideal for catching tench on 3oz feeders at 70 yards on Kent pits.

I would say however that I wouldn't' use them to cast 5oz feeders full up with bait on a swollen Trent.

That might be a bit risky, then again I would be fishing the inside with a few feet on with 3oz.

So if Collingham or similar is fished often go for something a bit beefier.
If infrequently, go treat yourself to some super Torrrix

Lee.

They have accounted for a number of carp over 45lb. Pike into 20's and big barbel.

They were also ideal for catching tench on 3oz feeders at 70 yards on Kent pits.

I would say however that I wouldn't' use them to cast 5oz feeders full up with bait on a swollen Trent.

That might be a bit risky, then again I would be fishing the inside with a few feet on with 3oz.

3/4 of the way across the river from your bank is only 1/4 of the way out for the guy on the opposite bank eh. ;):p:D

Lee.

Do they (Harrison) do a 12' 2.25lb

As for casting I've been chucking 3/4 of the way over the Severn with Silstar Traverse X Heavy feeder with 4oz and big PVA bags so 5 and a bag should be OK with Torrix. I'll get a sample whipped up and chuck it down the canal at the back of Fosters

Do they (Harrison) do a 12' 2.25lb

As for casting I've been chucking 3/4 of the way over the Severn with Silstar Traverse X Heavy feeder with 4oz and big PVA bags so 5 and a bag should be OK with Torrix. I'll get a sample whipped up and chuck it down the canal at the back of Fosters

No Torrix in 2.25. I don’t think any of the other blanks go that low either.

Don't think test curve will make much difference as torrix are all through action blank as opposed to fast taper tip. I have old carp rods of 2.5 lb tc that are all through action,brilliant for playing fish on but no good for casting.

Back