• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Harrison Avon 4-piece by Peregrine Rods

I've had one of these tucked away for those times I need to fit fishing around work, and now that time has come I'm wondering if it might be slightly under-gunned for the Loddon barbel.

It is 1.5lb test curve whereas I have been using daiwa infinities in 1.75lb so far.

Despite using the Harrison more and more I have yet to use it in anger, does anyone have any experience of this rod who can say either way?

Thanks
James

I have one tucked away too - tucked away because I use my van for fishing these days and I have no need for a short rod hidden in a car boot :)

I think it has a great action and depending on whether you are choosing a snaggy swim I think it'll be good on the Loddon - assuming there are any barbel left in there, I've struggled this season :( but then it hasn't been a river for multiple captures for a long while.

Built quite a 'few' of them - nice rods at 11'.
Some people go for the 12' 1.5lb Harrison Triptych but this is 3 piece and not so 'hideable'.
I fancy it's a tad more powerful than the Avon.
Getting hold of a blank can be a bit difficult at times - a number of people use them as salmon worming rods.

I caught some lumps from the Loddon many, many years ago on a 1.5lb Triptych and 1.5lb Daiwa Powermesh, and they were absolutely fine.

Nick C

Thanks for all the replies, it's been a thought playing on my mind whilst I have been whiling away the hours waiting for a bite.

As Paul said, the barbel haven't been the most forthcoming on the Loddon this year.

It's a lovely rod to behold Bob, hopefully once I've tested its mettle I'll see if a second one is on the cards :)

It's fine have one stashed on the top shelf of my van. Although it's only been used twice it has managed a hard fighting kennet double from a very hit and hold swim absorbed the lunges perfectly which was good as I was using 6lb hooklength (was going for a chub). Never felt like it was undergunned. It's not keen on flicking out 5oz bait droppers though but I'll let it off that one.

James - I've got a Harrison four piece and love its versatility, having landed double figure barbel and sizeable carp on the rod. Bob is right in that it certainly feels "heavier" than a standard Avon, but if you have any doubts on it being under-gunned, have a look at this article:

http://www.purepiscator.com/viewReview.aspx?id=35

Hope this helps...

Back