• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

hardy conquest centerpin

Luke, do you mean the old Conquest c'pin?

If so then I've been watching a few of these on ebay for a while now. I like the minimalist look of the conquest and it's a Hardy product made when Hardy still really did cut a dash. Am I right in thinking it was the inspiration for Richard Carter's Dragonfly reel?

Last year I went to the barbel society's do in Hinckley. I got talking to one of the chaps on the Kingpin stand. He mentioned to me that they were just finalising the design, and getting ready to go into production on a reel based on the Hardy Conquest. He also added that they were making the reel on behalf of Edward Barder, for him to sell badged under his own name. I often look on the Barder-rod website and also on Kingpin's, but have seen nothing on either yet. Sounds like it would be a nice reel, at a price.

Last edited:
It's an ok pin but with one major design flaw on the check lever. As has been posted earlier there are better pins out there for less money.

Cheers Nigel,that is exactly what concerned me about the reel,
Any other suggestions gents..
Want it for trotting on chalkstreams
Luke

Haydn,
The Kingpin website should be live in a couple of weeks as they are waiting for pictures of the new reel with the darker colour grey hard anodised finish. I have one of the lighter coloured prototypes and it is an impressive reel and called the 'Imperial'.
I was told the same thing regarding the EB connection.
Meanwhile a picture of the prototype (lighter coloured) Imperial.

IMAG026.JPG
IMAG025.JPG

The production model is considerably darker in colouration.

Cheers
Bob

Just to balance the debate, I've had a modern Conquest for about a year and like it.

It took a few trips to properly run it in (its a true pin), but now I've done a few hundred hours and it is my preferred pin trotting. My comparison is made with a six year old Youngs BJ which I bought new and an old Allcocks which to be fair isn't in great condition but was a gift.

The return on the Hardy is very quick as you don't need to bat it, you just put a finger between the spokes and wind it.

I've had no problems with the check lever although agree its not as aesthetically pleasing as a metallic lever, but I think think a key focus in the design was minimal weight.

Rgds
STEVE

I wouldn't recommend a kingpin, purely based on my dealings with this company they have the worst customer service I have ever come across and would never buy another product from them.

I'm genuinely amazed at that Anthony, I have found them to be brilliant to work with.

If you have an outstanding problem with them, drop me a pm and I'll do my best to sort it for you.

Steve, you've got to admit that having to push the lever check through two positions adds no value whatsoever and is a definate disadvantage when trotting for grayling in freezing conditions when you can't even feel the tips of your fingers?

Nigel.

I agree that this is an odd feature and I'm guessing a compromise linked to the lightweight synthetic lever mechanism. Personally though I've not found it an issue, although I tend not to engage the ratchet whilst actually fishing.

I think the Hardy is well over priced, and can't do any more than any other more moderately priced reels.
I find the Youngs Purists very good, and are especially free running for trotting. One of my favorite pins is the Grice and Young Golden Eagle which has one of the best check leavers I have come across. It is right on top of the reel and can be flicked on and off with a finger. The worst pin I have is the TFG it is realy cranky.

Back