• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hardened hook baits

Massive hard hookbaits - 25mm x 32mm barrels. Thinking behind it being they are too big and hard for the crays to actually get their claws around.

Quite selective in what fish will pick them up too. Had a mega run of doubles with an angling buddy using these.

Hi Julian I make my own baits and have done for a few years on and off also make bait for a few other lads. I've always had a keen interest in making/tinkering with bait and probably enjoy it just as much as the fishing itself. There's no magic formula to stop the crays getting to the bait, if there on you in numbers and hungry enough they'll have it but the best thing I found in my hookbaits is whey gel and then soaking them in a glug too. Definitely gets them hard enough to last a bit longer than the average hard hookbait and you don't need to boil them any longer than a normal boilie either

Hi Julian I make my own baits and have done for a few years on and off also make bait for a few other lads. I've always had a keen interest in making/tinkering with bait and probably enjoy it just as much as the fishing itself. There's no magic formula to stop the crays getting to the bait, if there on you in numbers and hungry enough they'll have it but the best thing I found in my hookbaits is whey gel and then soaking them in a glug too. Definitely gets them hard enough to last a bit longer than the average hard hookbait and you don't need to boil them any longer than a normal boilie either
Never heard of using whey gel Connor. 👍
So on a typical small catch of baits say 1 egg mix, with the measured amount of flavours.... how much if this whey gel do you add to the liquids Connor.

It's a protein isn't it?

Thanks for your contribution buddy 👍

Most of the bait suppliers stock it.

Some say you can use up to 20%. I’d go significantly less than that.

A good source of bait info is ‘carp forum’ website. There are some well qualified bait brains posting on there…..You just have to work out who is talking sense !

Like Tim said 20% is to high, they end up like rubber bullets which I'd exactly what I don't want as they can't leak off food signals like that. For a 1 egg mix I'd add 25g mate. Yeah its a milk protein aswell so has that added benefit! Great ingredient to be fair

Back