• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hard long very confusing weekend !!!!

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm more confused as ever, not difficult for me though!

Do you think that all barbel and carp, if left to a completely natural life and uncaught would have this curtain? If so, why wouldn't pond fish such as koi carp have it? To my knowledge, they don't although i don't keep them myself these days so can't "pop out the back" to check.
It's also not just juvenile fish that show this condition, as i said, i have seen carp to mid 20's with it.
Could it be a deformity? I can't see what purpose it would serve.

Answers on a postcard!

Best regards,

Jeff

Subline is the way forward for me as I tend to alot of research in to tackle before purchasing and the reviews Iv read on subline is fantastic, the problem is same as everything there's so much availability of different items where do you start.

Hi Jeff,
None of the barbel we've caught on this stretch of the Wye have been juveniles. Unusually, they have ALL been in the 6-8lb range.
I don't think the curtain is a deformity, and I would have thought that all barbel would possess it if left unfished for. I imagine it to be used as an aid to feeding...?
As I mentioned in the previous post, it appears to be quite delicate, and I don't think it would take much fishing pressure for it to become quickly damaged.
regards,
Tim

Hi again Tim,

What's the bottom like on that bit of the Wye you were fishing?
Could it be that the bottom make up/natural food has an impact (or not) on this curtain?
As you say, it does appear to be very delicate.

Just going back to my original point though, I believe that the theory of a fish caight with a curtain is a "virgin capture" to be completely untrue.

There must be loads of fish biologists out there?

If anyone has a definitive answer please post the findings or your thoughts as I'm really intrigued by this. Yes, i know, i should get out more!

Best regards,
Jeff

> ESP Raptor D-7's look a good strong hook with

Sorry to say this, but I find ESP hooks notorious for the hookpoint going blunt or turning over if a fish so much as farts in the general direction.

Fox SSBP is a much sturdier pattern IMO

I agree with your findings after using the Raptor D7's for several months.The points do seem to turn over too easily.

Admittedly I am fishing mainly over gravel but I have found that that the hook points on the mugga,kurv,and S5 are more robust.You would think that the D7 with the inturned point would handle the gravel bottom better but it doesn't in my experience.

ps I have 30 x size 8 Raptor D7's and 25 x size 10 Raptor D7's for a tenner delivered if anyone is interested.

> ESP Raptor D-7's look a good strong hook with a curved point hopefully won't blunt as easily

Sorry to say this, but I find ESP hooks notorious for the hookpoint going blunt or turning over if a fish so much as farts in the general direction.

Fox SSBP is a much sturdier pattern IMO

Darren tried the Raptor D-7's today you wasn't wrong,had to change the hook twice due to the hook point turning over,thought the curved point would help won't be buying anymore of those.

i've tried just about every hook going on the shelfs and i'm starting to love the pallatrax.

The first hook that helps my land my first double I will stick with ;););)

Anyone tried" Jag hook sharpening stones" ?
Claim to give you sharper than new !
Be interested to see how they are rated by someone who uses it.
Thanks

Back