• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hampshire Avon Roach

Christian Tyroll

Good evening all

I would like to go for a days trotting on the Hampshire Avon with my dad at some point.

Please could someone be kind enough to recommend a day ticket stretch that has reasonable access for someone with creaky knees and somewhere that would make us feel like we'd come to hallowed ground?

I've only fished it once before and I went somewhere just outside Salisbury, I quite liked it but can't remember the name now.

I'd also be open to suggestions for chalk streams in that part of the country.

Thank you

Good evening all

I would like to go for a days trotting on the Hampshire Avon with my dad at some point.

Please could someone be kind enough to recommend a day ticket stretch that has reasonable access for someone with creaky knees and somewhere that would make us feel like we'd come to hallowed ground?

I've only fished it once before and I went somewhere just outside Salisbury, I quite liked it but can't remember the name now.

Thank you
Bisterne might be worth a look. Lovely looking stretch with some classic Avon looking swims. Not too far to walk to the river but doesn’t open to coarse rods until 1st of August. Details on the CAC website.

Good evening all

Thank you
Britford?

Good evening all

Thank you
Have a look at lower itchen fishery. Chalkstream just out of Southampton, you need to book ahead. I dare say the rules have changed a bit since I was a member but you could drive up the side of the river and park in several places, even dropping off your tackle at your chosen swim on the way. When I fished it the target fish would be grayling and chub. There are roach, carp and bream but not really enough to warrant specifically targeting and who wants to fish for the odd carp when grayling are available. Only open in the winter, good chance of a good grayling or nice chub.
If you are familiar with the speed of the Avon you will find the Itchen faster. Don’t worry, fish the fast bits that’s where the grayling are.

Good evening all

Thank you
Your best day ticket stretch for roach on the Avon would be Fordingbridge park.
Easy access with parking behind you.

Have a look at lower itchen fishery. Chalkstream just out of Southampton, you need to book ahead. I dare say the rules have changed a bit since I was a member but you could drive up the side of the river and park in several places, even dropping off your tackle at your chosen swim on the way. When I fished it the target fish would be grayling and chub. There are roach, carp and bream but not really enough to warrant specifically targeting and who wants to fish for the odd carp when grayling are available. Only open in the winter, good chance of a good grayling or nice chub.
If you are familiar with the speed of the Avon you will find the Itchen faster. Don’t worry, fish the fast bits that’s where the grayling are.

Cheers Ralph, I'll take a look.

Christian - The LIF (lower beat only) is only open for pre-booked day tickets from mid October. Used to fish it a lot but not since Covid. It's a typical southern chalkstream salmon & trout fishery that has, for a long time, been a superb mixed fishery. A bit pricey at almost £30 (probably increased now).

Fordingbridge Park, downstream of the main town bridge (excluding the area directly down from the bridge - kids playground) is an excellent asset open to all. Day tickets from the Kiosk in the park or local shop or garage at £5 or £2.50 for OAPs! But far better in winter. Walked it last week, several anglers, the occasional chub. Plenty of free parking, short walk and about 10 swims. However, summertime (last week!) plenty of kids, dog walkers, bikini clad SUPs and inflatable "boats" in evidence!

A bunch of us fish the Lower Itchen Fishery every year when it opens for coarse rods. It was £31.25 last year. Never caught so many grayling in a single session before! I’ve fished the Itchen below LIF since I was about 10! My largest roach from LIF was 3lb 4oz below the lower weir in 2019. No skill - first cast on double maggot! Last time we fished there one of the group, Gavin, chucked a maggot feeder out just below the weir at last knocking - 4lb hook length on a 14 barbless hook - hoping for a roach and caught this wonderful 14lb 1oz barbel!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 91
Back