• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hair rigs

Lee Barlow

I've started using Korda IQ Flurocarbon great stuff but I personally think its a bit stiff for hair rigs ( seams to kick out at an aggressive angle ) looks to un-natural ang was thinking of some how adapting braid to form the hair.
I messed about with a rig doubling over the braid and using the Fluro and whipping it around the braid ( knotless knot ) and trimming the hair off the Flurocarbon and blobbing it,
But I'm not confident in using it I've gave it a test on the knot puller tool and its got good strength ?
If Any of you guys use a method similar please let use know

I did try this Lee but never felt very confident with it and its quite fidly. In the end I opted for a slightly longer hair (which helped the hook lie flat) and after that, switched to Grand Max Soft Plus. It's lovely.

I do use the combi Stewart on another rod ( currently around 3inch) I was thinking of using it about an inch but its not what I'm looking to do,
Ill try and attach a pic tomorrow
Ill take a look at that grand Max Howard I was using ESP Ghost last season but where I fish it's not very abrasive resistant

Lee
Have you tried X line flurocarbon? It's very supple even for hairs..
I used to whip a bit of braid under a knotless knot until I started using X line, don't use anything else now.. Great knot strength and low diameter as well. A tad expensive but very good..
Regards Sean

Lee have you thought about using silicone tubing ?
I use Korda silicone tubing for holding the hair in place and not had a problem when using Fluoro

I use it all the time when I feel the need to use fluorocarbon hooklength. The braid hair on the shank of the hook turns ever so slightly when tightening it all up but other than that no problems.

Iv used 18lb mono at 0.41mm and caught on clear low water so i wouldnt be put off pal

One thing to keep in mind Lee is that the hair rig was developed to combat the habits of shy feeding carp,the fact that they tried to blow out the rig once they sussed something wrong.
Barbel do not feed like carp and as such is less important, I personally think as long as there is movement of the bait around the hook it will work.. Do not be put off either that the bait kicks out at a funny angle.......the KD does exactly that and works !

Hi Nick
It's not really the aggressive angle of the hair that's fine it's the stiffness of the hair whats putting me off,I do like the IQ And don't want to change What would be the best method to attach a braided hair ?

Hi Lee, I use the method you described in your original post, usually using a light mono for the hair but do use braid occasion, never had a problem with it slipping etc. I only bother doing this though when I'm fishing for Carp as I like the stiffness of iQ, for Barbel I use Trilene and find it supple enough without the need for a separate hair

Braid Hairs to Nylon Hooklinks

Hi Lee

I use braid hairs with fluoro hooklinks for carping. All I do is tie a seperate hair from braid and attach it. I do that by tying a loop for the baitstop and measuring the length of hair I want from the eye of the hook to the bottom of the bait and I then tie a double granny knot in the end opposite the loop and cut it off just above the knots.

The independent hair is then layed alongside the shank of the hook with the granny knots near the eye. If you then tie a knotless knot for the hooklink, the turns of the knot hold the hair in place and the granny knots prevent it slipping out from under the coils of the knot when you fish with it.

It sounds fiddly but isn't as that bad when you do it.

Hope that helps

I use a rig for tench that is a short section of braid, the hair is tied on as normal with a knot less knot, the braid is then attached to the mainline using an Albright knot but two grinners back to back would be ok.
This gives a very flexible short hook length section with a supple hair, the knot in my case covered in putty, to anchor a 10mm pop up, suspended just above the weed.......
The other option is to form a D rig withe fluorocarbon and attach the bait with floss but that is all starting to get complicated but confidence is a big boost so go with what you feel is right.
Have a look on the Korda site as loads of info on there........
Hope this helps.

I was the same didn't like the idea of a stiff hair so as mentioned I just whip a soft hair in place, the go over the top with the mono knot less knot style but cut what would be the mono hair off. Does the trick for me.

Never had a problem when using knotless knotted Maxima hooklinks catching Barbel.Although this has been when angling for river carp and not what I'd choose for Barbel.An added bonus of a stiff hair combined with the stiff line exiting the eye at an aggressive angle is that it has excellent hook turning properties especially when the hair is trapped to the shank near the bend with silicon, if you're into that sort of thing.

Never had a problem when using knotless knotted Maxima hooklinks catching Barbel.Although this has been when angling for river carp and not what I'd choose for Barbel.An added bonus of a stiff hair combined with the stiff line exiting the eye at an aggressive angle is that it has excellent hook turning properties especially when the hair is trapped to the shank near the bend with silicon, if you're into that sort of thing.

Stuart I have all ways used silicon to trap the hair when using Fluoro and never had a problem :)

Thanks for the Replys & Opinions Lads
Heres a Few Pics of the Rigs i use
The ones with the Braid ( Super Natural ) Is a Combi Rig i use Ranging from 2"-4" Better results on the smaller...
But one picture of what the original post is about with a Braided hair & Fluro hook length..

Back