• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hair rig and hooklength advice.

Hi all.

I've been a fishing for years but have only recently turned my attentions to Barbel and the river Ribble, what I am struggling with at the moment is how to choose the length of my hooklength; I have seen articles and write ups that suggest a long hook length is better so I have been using one around 3ft of monofilament connected to my mainline via a swivel, the feeder running on the mainline. Is this generally ok until I gain more of an idea on personal preference and results ? Also I have been tying my hair rigs with a band on and banding 12mm pellets, this is ok for fishing a single bait but I'm at a loss when I want to fish double baits, other than using a hair without a band, and in which case I seem to lose the bait even when using a hair stop ? The answer is more than likely straightforward I realise but if anybody could offer any advice on hooklengths and hair rigs I'd be more than grateful !

Thanks in advance.

Andy.

hi andrew, yes its pretty straight forward. one of those 'kick your self ones'

super glue mate, couple of 6 or 8mm pellets with the hair trapped between them is all thats required.

as for hook link, like you say a lot down to results and personal preference, i may self am doing well with a 4ft combi rig on my local river

Andy-try superglue if you want to fish double pellet. Either glue to the hair (sandwiching it between the pellets) or glue the pellets and attach using the band still, in the "crease" between the pellets.

As for hooklength, you will get a variety of answers I'm afraid and that's simply because it just depends on so many factors. I suppose a shorter hooklength increases your hooking capability so you could start relatively short (10-12 inches, say) and then adjust accordingly if bites are not forthcoming. Much depends on whether the water is clear or coloured, how heavily and competitively the fish are feeding etc.

Lengthening the hooklength is typically about trying to avoid line bites on the main line which can spook the fish. Another approach is to use a backlead but that depends on the swim you are fishing and all sorts of other factors. If you use some sort of quick change link in your rig, then you can prepare different hooklengths in advance which will enable you to chop and change your set up very quickly until you are confident in your rig (because it is producing bites!)

The lads who fish the Ribble may be the best to ask. I seem to remember talk of a narrow channel in the bedrock places, the edge of which just cut through lines as if they weren't there. A combi-rig with heavy-duty fluorocarbon may be the order of the day in such circumstances.

Thanks guys I appreciate the help, I wouldn't have thought of superglue in a million years ! Forgive my ignorance but could anyone tell me what a combi rig is ? Also, something which has always confused me is the difference between monofilament and fluorocarbon and the benefits/best situations for either one.

Thanks again.

Andy.

Thanks guys I appreciate the help, I wouldn't have thought of superglue in a million years ! Forgive my ignorance but could anyone tell me what a combi rig is ? Also, something which has always confused me is the difference between monofilament and fluorocarbon and the benefits/best situations for either one.

Thanks again.

Andy.

Hello Andrew
This season i have been tying much better (stronger) Knots. And to tie a combi-rig i use a back to back grinner. It works best with braid and fluorocarbon of a similar diameter with 5 turns on both. But if one is thinner add an extra turn to balance the knot. On the other end i tie a simple figure of eight knot with a long anti tangle sleeve on the line. I then attatch the loop to a quick release swivel and slide the sleeve up and onto the swivel.
It's a very strong rig that offers a more supple movement of the bait.

Dave

Andrew
if you are uncertain about a tying a combi rig you will be as well off using a coated braid. The coated section offers stiffness to reduce tangles whilst the stripped section in front of the hooks eye offers movement. This can be tied in the normal knotless knot fashion. You may also consider the extenda hair stops that will allow you to tie a hair rig for a single bait but allow you extend the hair to take multiple. These also grip the bait internally and have external pegs/feet and can hold a pellet for several hours. I find these work as well as super glue without the hassel or potential odour

I don't like using ultra long book lengths, I prefer 10 to 18" " . To overcome the shy biting problem, if you can lower the tip, can be deadly, even sink the tip , hold the rod with the butt on your lap, you really get a sense of what's going on with the little plucks, twangs and pulls.
Of course if you are fishing at distance then this method is not possible, some anglers will go 6' foot or longer to get bites. I might go 2 foot.

the only time i go longer than around 2 ft is if i want my bait under an overhanging tree or bush so i can drop the lead above the feature and allow the bait to drift under it, have used 4 or 5 ft in those situations.

Back