• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Hair length??

If you catch a whopper do i get an assist! :D I miss the Trent . . . . .

When a larger hook is required with bigger baits i've been using the Nash Fang Twister and it is unbelievably good - shame the don't produce them in smaller sizes.

Last edited:
Nice one Andrew, your picture is more or less exactly what I was trying to describe if you took away the second piece of silicon. Never tried having it come away inline with the point like that.

Mike, I think you have me confused with somebody else, I'm not that Paul Garner.

Nice one Andrew, your picture is more or less exactly what I was trying to describe if you took away the second piece of silicon. Never tried having it come away inline with the point like that.

Mike, I think you have me confused with somebody else, I'm not that Paul Garner.

Makes a world of difference Paul - that hair position.

Rig Mechanics - baffling at times but having listened to Mr Scotts explanation it all makes sence! It only works with a supple hair material - definately not with mono or fluoro, and only with bottom baits.

Jon! Before you field test on the TT forgot to mention Supernatural isn't very abrasion resistant - i use a 3" section tied with a simple 4 turn water knot to Nash armourcord, the later being very tuff, as the rest of my hooklink!

Last edited:
This is the rig I was talking about in the Trent Tidal thread.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 459
Hi John,

If you don't mind me saying fella, I think you are in danger here of getting carried away by too many good ideas, all of which you want to give a try next time out, which is doomed to end in total confusion. As you say, there is no one wonder rig, any more than there is a wonder bait. Ask a dozen anglers what rig/bait they swear is the best, and you will get anything up to a dozen different answers....they can't all be right (or wrong) can they?

It is quite normal to hear some great anglers state that they were suffering hook pulls while using rig A, so changed to rig B...end of problem. On the other hand, another started with rig B, but was suffering hook pulls, so changed to rig A....end of problem...:eek: Bit confusing that isn't it, if you see my point?

In my opinion, providing you are using a decent, proven bait, presented in an acceptable way, with a sharp hook (vital), and all the rig components and other tackle in ballance, there shouldn't be a problem. Choose a proven rig which is matched to the river/conditions you are fishing, from one of those on offer from the excellent anglers on this forum and stick with it, and you won't go far wrong.

Continually swapping from rig to rig, hair length to hair length, or bait to bait is pretty well guaranteed to result in less fish on the mat. On the other hand, the confidence gained by KNOWING that the rig, hair length and bait you are using has been proven to work on YOUR river (or similar), by a successfull angler, is absolutely priceless.

Cheers fella, hope something works for you :D

Dave.

Last edited:
Hi David, not a case of getting confused as i generally fish 2 rods on the trent, so i can give a rig a few sessions. Its just that of late that i have been having a few hook pulls after i maybe lost 3 or 4 fish last year to hook pulls all last year and that was nearly 200 fish in total, which was a good ratio. The rig i used last year was a combi link, with a knotless knot and a hair of no more than 10mm. I dont really think this rig has been too much of a problem when the fish have been feeding normally; ie sucking and blowing, pardon the pun. Its just when the Barbel have been in a large shoal and your bait has been taken in less than a minute; in which case they a snatching at the bait. Its one of those conundrums that makes fishing really interesting. My rig of choice for the next few weeks will be the line aligner rig, with a short hair, as its not too difficult to make up at home in a large quantity. Two thing's for definate is a long hair when fish are snatching is a no go, and the bigger barbel still feed the same.

Jon

when using hair rigs i use raptor in size 10 and the hook 5mm from the bait.hand on heart i have never pulled out of a barbel using this rig.also i :)think the striking timing and action may have some say in this.not saying i am right but we all know what a funny old game this is
albert

True Albert very true:)
i prefer to use a short hair with the bottom of the hook about 1/4" above the bait, this needs adjusting according to flow and the barbels mood.
One thing to remember when comparing to carp rigs is Barbel have a very different pair of lips :)

Gawd Albert, did you have to drag a two year old thread up :D Back then I had no real idea who Jon was, only to discover later that I was offering advice to a man who is a better angler than I will ever be....how embarrassing is that :eek:

Hey ho....my only excuse is that I meant well at the time :p

Cheers, Dave.

some very interesting point there gents, like top section of a rod being to powerful,gap between bait and hook, whipping , hook size, all these do contribute, but also mr barbel,
be watching the under water footage of barbel feeding and in most case when barbel pick up bait, at the same time they pick up the bait they nearly always turn up stream, as if spooked, at this point i think a longer hair is the best choice as it further down its throat and takes more time for the fish to get rid of,hence the hook,, smaller hooks more chance of hook pulls also stick fioat fishing i had loads of barbel on small hooks on 16s caster and hooked them right in the corner of there mouths, and also lost loads,

Back