• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Habitat destruction on The Ivel

Chris Guy

1662712771110.png

1662712832877.png
1662712808438.png
1662712882352.png
1662712910719.png

My club took a stretch a little bit upstream from Sandy. It was virtually unfishable because of the weed covering 90% of the surface. Think it was watercress. Is that why this was done or is it the usual EA vandalism?

They have been cutting the weed on the Ivel this time of the year for as long as I can remember. Doesn't seem to affect the river too much. The greater problem is the abstraction of the upper river and sewage discharges.

My club took a stretch a little bit upstream from Sandy. It was virtually unfishable because of the weed covering 90% of the surface. Think it was watercress. Is that why this was done or is it the usual EA vandalism?
That was a grass like floating weed, thankfully they taken that out. But, in addition they've ripped out reed beds and streamer weed. Not so good.

They have been cutting the weed on the Ivel this time of the year for as long as I can remember. Doesn't seem to affect the river too much. The greater problem is the abstraction of the upper river and sewage discharges.
It lowers levels further and it's crowfoot rancorous that should never be taken out apparently.

Back