• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gudgeon rod

I would say a little wand with a very light quivertip would be best for that job.
I don’t actually think 90% of the rod is going to be applicable but if you get the tip right then the rod will be ideal for what you want.
As your competent with building and whipping my suggestion would be
9-10ft light action bomb rod with a carbon quiver tip of no more than 1oz
I’d rub off any high viz on the tip and remove all the rings.
I’d then whip the tip on as a permanent splice and replace the rings with high stand off float rod rings and pattern.
That would be a sensational little gudgeon rod imo.

My rod for the same role is a Harrison 11' 6" Match Special float rod with a spliced tip fitted with a Trudex centrepin loaded with 2lb line for a total weight of 11oz in the hand and beautifully balanced.

I would definatly look for a spliced tip canal rod for float fishing and a Shimano Technium 9' Bomb Rod with 1/2oz and 3/4oz rod section for a link ledger rod. Whatever you get it will probably have to be secondhand as these rods have fallen out of favour for heavy tackle.

A light short whip would also be perfect if it suits the water.

IMG_7458.jpeg

Last edited:
My rod for the same role is a Harrison 11' 6" Match Special float rod with a spliced tip fitted with a Trudex centrepin loaded with 2lb line for a total weight of 11oz in the hand and beautifully balanced.

I would definatly look for a spliced tip canal rod for float fishing and a Shimano Technium 9' Bomb Rod with 1/2oz and 3/4oz rod section for a link ledger rod. Whatever you get it will probably have to be secondhand as these rods have fallen out of favour for heavy tackle.

A light short whip would also be perfect if it suits the water.

View attachment 23507
is that the GTI blank? I just remember I have a 13 gti match rod with spliced tip.
I actually bought a 7 feet micro fish whip, which is perfect for small swim gudgeon fishing.

is that the GTI blank? I just remember I have a 13 gti match rod with spliced tip.
I actually bought a 7 feet micro fish whip, which is perfect for small swim gudgeon fishing.
The spliced tip 13’ gti is ideal for trotting a small float as the tip section allows the light float to be flicked out and also cushions the strike for fine lines.
The Match Special was in the GTI range but a dedicated small fish, light line rod. Essentially a whip fitted with a reel.
The whip will be perfect for some swims but might be worth balancing the GTI to a small reel and trotting for less accessible stretches or just for the fun of using the rod again👍

Last edited:
A bit late to this post , as all I have catching in numbers of late is grudgeon other than crayfish from the upper Thames my current weapons of choice are an original Drennan IM6;light feeder rod or a Sportex carbon Kevlar 1 lb from the 80s in 11ft , the sportex is preferred as it bends to the butt section when a random 3 lb plus chub bothers me. The chance of a barbel is slim so I may have to start targeting the gudgeon instead, they still have barbels and are a similar shape to my preferred target.

A bit late to this post , as all I have catching in numbers of late is grudgeon other than crayfish from the upper Thames my current weapons of choice are an original Drennan IM6;light feeder rod or a Sportex carbon Kevlar 1 lb from the 80s in 11ft , the sportex is preferred as it bends to the butt section when a random 3 lb plus chub bothers me. The chance of a barbel is slim so I may have to start targeting the gudgeon instead, they still have barbels and are a similar shape to my preferred target.
I am fishing the upper Thames around Oxford. Sportex is kind of rod I want but maybe even softer. I am using a 7ft whip designed for the micro fish at the moment.

To me, Gudgeon is mini barbel, so I am more than happy to catch them.

Drennan bomb rod

I love my 11ft Korum Allrounders (1.25TC) and aside from my Zandering, I use them for pretty much everything.

A few months ago on a commercial pond whilst my young lad was landing a few small Stock Carp and Rudd, I managed to get tucked into a school of decent Gudgeon. They were all of a lovely size (for Gobio's) and luckily, my Allrounder was able to cope with them ok. :)

Lovely little fish are Gudgeon, I'm very sure they'd be very close to the top of any anglers favourite fish poll.

Old thread and I expect OP is sorted, but I just bought a 7ft Westin 5-15g Finesse spinning rod - with such a light tip, I think it would make a good gudgeon rod. They also do a 2-10g version. Not sure how you actually target gudgeon, I must Google it.

I sourced short whip from Asian for close range work, this whip is designed for micro fishing, it will bend into double with 2-3oz fish. I did land a 1lb+ bream with it, but that took me nearly 5mins…

I also got the drennan mini feeder for feeder work, not used yet. Mainly because I really enjoy fishing them in the margins with that whip.

ajing style fishing very light lures like 1g lures known here as lrf of light rock fishing.

They would work great with a tiny float as well

Major craft do a rod aji-do but there are some other alternatives as well kuying super light and other kuying rods

There normally 7 foot with a super sensitive tip and mega delicate

ajing style fishing very light lures like 1g lures known here as lrf of light rock fishing.

They would work great with a tiny float as well

Major craft do a rod aji-do but there are some other alternatives as well kuying super light and other kuying rods

There normally 7 foot with a super sensitive tip and mega delicate
Ah, that, yes, I am considering the similar options, had my eye on some 0.1g rods from Asian again.

I have a hand built 1.8g 7.2 rod here by nick buss on a evoke ultra light blank lovely rod but I don’t use it if anyone’s interested before it goes on eBay

Back