• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Gripper or Anchor?

Vince Maddock

Just about to order some 6 and 8oz leads for my first visit to the tidal Trent. I've always used normal gripper leads but I'm wondering if the 'new' anchor style leads are an improvement or do they just look nice?

Just about to order some 6 and 8oz leads for my first visit to the tidal Trent. I've always used normal gripper leads but I'm wondering if the 'new' anchor style leads are an improvement or do they just look nice?
I own plenty of both. Never noticed any difference regarding the way they stay on the bottom to be honest.
pear shaped grippers definitely cast better in the like for like sizes but the newer anchor gripper patterns have bigger holes so you can cram them full of paste or attraction better.

I own plenty of both. Never noticed any difference regarding the way they stay on the bottom to be honest.
pair shaped grippers definitely cast better in the like for like sizes but the newer anchor gripper patterns have bigger holes so you can cram them full of paste or attraction better.
Thanks Richard

Never come across anchor leads, what do these look like?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230118_194501_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20230118_194501_eBay.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 121
I have seen these, rocks love them.
YES now you mention it the triangular shape could cause it to jam in rocks more

BUT the lead would probably work a lot better if the swivel was the other end ?

YES now you mention it the triangular shape could cause it to jam in rocks more

BUT the lead would probably work a lot better if the swivel was the other end and less chance of it wedging in rocks on the retrieve?

For tackle grave yards I hammer home made leads flat. I have an adjustable mould that has a plunger to make leads from 4-9oz, it's a sea lead mould but the fish don't know that.

I haven't done side by side comparisons but I reckon a flattened 4oz will hold as well as a 6oz bomb.

For tackle grave yards I hammer home made leads flat. I have an adjustable mould that has a plunger to make leads from 4-9oz, it's a sea lead mould but the fish don't know that.

I haven't done side by side comparisons but I reckon a flattened 4oz will hold as well as a 6oz bomb.
I make my own gripper leads at home. A typical gripper shape, that after cooling down, I turn on the side and hammer into an oval shape. I firmly believe, you end up snagging less.

I make them in a cube mould then put them in a bench vice while warm an d squeeze em, the vice leaves a pattern both sides to grip, cheap as chips

Back