• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Greys Strata

Paul Monaghan

Paul,

I looked at this gear as I have the chest waders, but found the ESP equivalent had much higher waterproof/breathability ratings at a better price. has served me well over the last couple of months.
Cheers,

Steve

I've got the wading jacket and it is a quality peice of kit. Only had it for about 6 months and so far has been totaly reliable. What I do like about it though is: it's got a decent cut allowing for easy movement without straining the seams and......... has a smooth lining, instead of one of those silly mesh type ones.

How many seasons I'll get out of it remains to be seen yet though ?

Paul. I know this is not the question you asked but.....

I can really highly recommend the German Gortex Jacket and Trousers with Braces and Liner that you can get on Ebay for a song.

The jacket can be matched with a Sundridge Sleepsuit top or / and the Quilted Sundridge undersuit. The trouser liners are super warm and not needed in milder weather.

The German Gortex is tough/breatheable and waterproof and both items are often available new as against surplus used. A Bargain with real flexiblily of warmth or for the showers alone..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gore-tex-...ria_LE&var=&hash=item3a7d981a02#ht_1852wt_758

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/German-Ar...Militaria_LE&hash=item2c7a373500#ht_984wt_721

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sundridge...s_Sports_Clothing_LE&var=&hash=item4174a1fc5c

Of course I think you can get plain green as well. A similar "Branded " suit in Gortex would probably cost you 3 x as much.

Last edited:
The other year I bought a Pro Logic jacket and salopettes which leaked like a sieve when I was caught in the first heavy downpour with the brolly left at home. These were duly returned.

This year I bought an army Goretex jacket and overtrousers from eBay. They are lightweight and pack down small enough to fit into the bottom of a rucksack if required. Goretex has a shelf life and wears out after prolonged so I'd advise getting unissued (new) items. However, their waterproof properties are excellent. I stood in the rain for an extended time on a roving session the other week and didn't get wet at all. Also, Goretex is breathable so you should be fine getting to the swim.

If you go for them then look up the sizing chart. Another benefit is they do all the different sizes and shapes that are under the sun which was perfect for myself, being 6'2" and slim build. As they are likely to be used over another jacket and trousers then don't skimp sizes wise and consider the next size up. Also, the extra layer will help keep you warm if it gets cold. Lastly, they won't break the bank.

Hope that helps!

Stephen

Hi Stephen

My Jacket has lasted 5 years so far, and I had just pulled the clothing gear from the car ready for my pick up for the Itchen tomorrow so was on the ball.......

I'm sure these were mentioned in a thread last year and were highly rated by the guys using them.

Got the Helikon ECWCS Jacket and Trousers (Generation 2 in Olive) along with the Patriot fleece and under garments. Excellent kit.

Brian,
Not marked 'GORETEX' but Nylon PTFE laminate.
The spec for mine is:
Waterproof: 10 000mm
• Breathable: 5000g/m²/24h
• Windproof
• Concealed cobra hood
• YKK pull zipper with double storm flap
• 2 large cargo pockets on the lower front
• 2 slash hand warmer pockets behind cargo pockets
• 2 hidden map pockets at the upper front
• 2 pockets on both sleeves
• Ventilated sleeves
• Velcro cuffs
• Taped seams
• Chest epaulet
• Chin guard
• Snow skirt with drawstring at waist
• Bottom drawstring
• Material: 100% Nylon, PTFE Laminate
• Manufacturer: Helikon

Looks and feels as military type goretex.
As I said good gear.
Cheers
Bob

Graham,
Thanks for the heads up regarding the German army waterproofs. I sent off for the trousers and wore them this weekend to a motorcycle rally in N.Wales,620 mile round trip mostly in heavy rain. I stayed perfectly dry, best 30 odd quid I've ever spent.
Again, many thanks.
Regards
Pete.

Got the Helikon ECWCS Jacket and Trousers (Generation 2 in Olive) along with the Patriot fleece and under garments. Excellent kit.

The Helikon-tex clothing seems to get good reviews within the Air-soft community. So I see no reason it shouldn't stand up to the abuse I give it. We'll see :D
I managed to source the Gen 2 jacket and trousers in plain old olive finally. (can't find them in the UK). Also purchased the gunfighter jacket, as its showerproof, breathable and windproof and looks cool...sad I know but need to look the part in the dark. :eek:
The under garments look quality so will be next on my list. It's cost me, but p****d off with poor quality fishing clothing.
Will report back in a couple of years...I hope.

Back