• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Grayling poaching

Steven Ballard

Hi all
What is everyone’s views on ‘straying’on to private stretches. The reason I bring it up is because a well known young angler has been heavily poaching the southern chalk streams for grayling, catching huge fish and getting publiscsed , I personally think he should be had about it. What would you men do if you knew of this happening?

Don't suppose the EA would be interested/bothered to do anything but the owners/ lessees should and should be informed with as many details as possible so that they can deal with him. Also, any clubs that he is a member of should be notified, as he should be kicked out for bringing the sport (and club) into disrepute.

Dave

Is the lad venturing onto stretches for which other coarse clubs/syndicates hold fishing rights, or game/fly only stretches or stretches with no fishing full stop (if they exist) ?

I would probably feel less strongly about the latter two scenarios tbh. Either way he shouldn't be publising his catches.

Have you or others contacted/spoken to him directly about it?

not surprised this behaviour is spreading to other species - sad times

in the carp world this is called 'guesting' and by many seen as a badge of honour

some of the largest carp caught in the UK have been by this guesting - 'names' even write openly about this

and then silly people on forums support the approach with comments like 'who dares wins'

its illegal and wrong - end of story and catches are not valid

Is the lad venturing onto stretches for which other coarse clubs/syndicates hold fishing rights, or game/fly only stretches or stretches with no fishing full stop (if they exist) ?

I would probably feel less strongly about the latter two scenarios tbh. Either way he shouldn't be publising his catches.

Have you or others contacted/spoken to him directly about it?

you cannot have dual standards

i have heard this argument so many times on carp forums - if nobody has fishing rights its OK to poach as you are not infringing on the rights of others - bullshit

Steven ,before crying wolf ,has the angler been caught without the correct permit by yourself. Is this possibly gossip or envy spread by anglers not catching such huge fish.There are a lot of sad anglers around these days spreading and bad mouthing others and Chinese whispers get bigger and bigger. I have over the years been lucky to befriend gamekeepers,farmers and land owners and get some spectacular fishing, unavailable to others,for the price of a bottle or cash in the pocket and a handshake Could this be the case and people do not know it, i know people were envious of some areas i fished and complained about it. Some years ago i did a similar thing, a river record was claimed and badly weighed, i caught the fish a week later over 3lb lighter and publicised it. At the time i thought it was the correct thing to do. In hindsight it was the worst thing i have ever done.I still regret it today,nobody wins and you end up feeling a bit of a sh1t

Last edited:

i have heard this argument so many times on carp forums - if nobody has fishing rights its OK to poach as you are not infringing on the rights of others - bul

Nick, please take the trouble to read what folks have written before going off on one, and putting words in peoples mouths.

**less strongly**

E.g poaching is still wrong, but with all misdemeanours there are different shades. In **my** opinion it is not as bad if nobody else’s fishing is being impacted, but that is not say it’s ok.

i have heard this argument so many times on carp forums - if nobody has fishing rights its OK to poach as you are not infringing on the rights of others - bullshit

Nick, please take the trouble to read what I’ve actually written before going off on one, and putting words in my mouth.

**less strongly**

E.g poaching is still wrong, but with all misdemeanours there are different shades of wrongdoing. In ‘my’ opinion it is not as bad if nobody else’s fishing is being impacted, but that is not say it’s **ok**.

Merry Xmas.

He’s poaching on a few well known stretches, one which is syndicate, the other is a well known club. He is also fishing on game only stretches. I will contact the publishers of the magazines he is/will be writing for

Sounds pretty brazen, but on the basis he’s a youngster, and being generous it could perhaps be put down to the ‘stupidly of youth’, it might be worth contacting him directly (Facebook perhaps?) and putting him straight?

Youngster or not, if he is old enough to be publicising his catches, he is old enough to know the difference between right and wrong.I remember when I was a young teenager I always respected the clubs that controlled the waters I fished, no licence or day ticket, I didnt fish, its not a hard concept to grasp.
If the situation was reversed, he was the fishery owner/controller, and somebody else was busy poaching his water I am sure he would not be a happy bunny.
Does this lad whoever he is actually have an EA lIcence I wonder ? I ask , because if he sees no wrong in fishing " the wrong side of the line " its entireley possible he isnt concerned about any controls at all.

David

I guess most of the people in the thread have never driven faster than the speed limit??

I used to fish a club lake years ago that had another lake owned by another club behind it. We used to wander our lake lure fishing and jump onto the other lake for a few casts, catching some fish occasionally.
You take your chances in life, if you are caught then you're caught, be prepared to face the consequences.

To guest or poach a water occasionally is one thing, to do it continuously is a bit foolish. I would guess he has a ticket and acting like he doesn't to make himself seem more popular / unpopular depending on how you look at it

Back