• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Grayling fishing on Welsh Dee?

Chris Turnbull

I'd love some advice here if anyone has any to offer. Way back in the early seventies I spent a while living in Snowdonia and occasionally did some grayling fishing on the Dee below Lake Bala. I now have a strong inkling to go back there for a visit next winter and also spend a few days trotting for grayling on the Bala waters. I notice that they allow any method fishing but no maggots in the Llandderfel stretch. So my question is has anyone fished there, what was the fishing like, and what baits worked the best? Any advice about other available fisheries on that length of the Dee would also be gratefully received. Also, I'd be keen for advice on angler friendly B&B's in the area?

Last edited:
Some of the best grayling fishers in Britain fish that part of the upper Dee (I have fished with them), but always with fly (mostly Czech-type nymphs nowadays), but, as nice as those fellas are, they tend to have a problem with "deep-hooking coarsefishers".

Hello Chris, haven,t fished the Dee down that way, but have fished Bala Lake a few times. Long range feeder tactics, caught some cracking roach, perch, and lots of eels. Using red expo groundbait with red maggots. :)

Didn,t use a b&b. We camped on a field next to the lake, 3/4 down the left hand side heading away from the village.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Derek. I did cast a line into Lake Bala many years ago. In fact the view from my bedroom overlooked the lake from up in the hills with the sun rising over it in the morning. It was a spectacular sight that would set you up for the day. However, it is specifically the grayling fishing on the Dee that is of interest to me and, as it will be in the winter, I'll opt for the warmth of a B&B.

Back