• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Grab and go food options

Ian Murfin

Ok so here’s the scenario. The cupboard is bare and your planning an evening session the next day. You’re at work during the day but can just about make it to a reasonable sized supermarket at lunchtime. You’ll grab a sandwich meal deal for lunch. What do you grab for your evening on the bank?

Screenshot_20220915_081417.jpg

I carry a couple of tins of mackerel or sardines too. Usually end up with tomato sauce down my front.
Whenever I fish at Bridgenorth, I'm into Aldi raiding the nearly out of date shelf.
The Lidlington mackerel is really nice. They even do a spicey one too...

A pack or two of pepperami ( ideally the black hot ones). Doesn't look a lot but loads of protein and a back up bait to boot if all else fails, and no big carb crash which might have me sitting in the wrong swim cos I feel tired and can't be bothered moving.
2 ltrs of water or is a must, as thirst often disguises itself as hunger. A ginsters is a nice treat but has to be fresh as they self-destruct after 24 hours.

Tuna salads. Various ones available in heavy foil containers. I always keep a few in the car for emergencies. Last for ages.
Otherwise a couple of scotch eggs and some cheese.

Ginsters Cornish Pasty is my go to fishing meal. My local One Stop convenience store used to do packs of peanut cookies which I took as snacks. Chocolate Caramel wafers a second choice snack.

I carry a couple of tins of mackerel or sardines too. Usually end up with tomato sauce down my front.
Whenever I fish at Bridgenorth, I'm into Aldi raiding the nearly out of date shelf.
Found a lovely deli in Bridgnorth last week…forget what there called but just down from the tackle shop. Picked up a large pasty, sausage roll and large slice of Bakewell tart for the princely sum of £5. Great grub and for someone used to London prices it was a breath of fresh air

Back