• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

GR60 Line

David Maddison

I usually fish Berkley Big Game as main line but I'm thinking about trying Gardner GR60 line instead as my local shop is out of Big Game atm.
They have the 12lb clear GR60 in which may be perfect for what I want fishing maggot feeder with my 1.5lb tc rod.
Does any of you rate the GR60? and is it as abrasive resistant as Berkley Big Game?? (Similar Diameter)
I've heard many anglers rate both these lines!
Also the newer GR60x? And the GR80+? Both a little for expensive.

Last edited:
I switched over to GR60 at the beginning of this season, and like John said, I found it to be a little wirey too. I was using the bog standard Korda carp line before that and the GR60 was definitely more springy than the Korda. But in use i find it to be ok and dont notice the springyness now.

It's abrasion resistant for sure, but very springy for me, and liked trying to jump back off the spool when loaded. Back to sensor for me , cheap, cheerful, and it works.
Hi John. I may end up sticking with the Big Game if they can get some in by next weekend as its £7.99 for a bulk spool and the Gardner line is almost double that! ..Plus if it ain't broke and all that! 🤣. I may have a feel of the lines next week and see what I think.
Dave

It's abrasion resistant for sure, but very springy for me, and liked trying to jump back off the spool when loaded. Back to sensor for me , cheap, cheerful, and it works.
I agree John, never found anything to better Sensor. When I tried Big Game I had a couple of occasions it parted just above the hook. When I checked the diameter it varied greatly so chucked the lot.

I agree John, never found anything to better Sensor. When I tried Big Game I had a couple of occasions it parted just above the hook. When I checked the diameter it varied greatly so chucked the lot.
I've just remembered the thread last month when Neil Kirk mentioned a problem he had with 12lb Berkley Big Game snapping!
He found out that he had the European Version and the U.S. Version is the old one he had which measured 0.33mm on his micrometer!
The one that snapped (European Version) was just 0.25mm!! 😱

haven’t used anything else for 20 years it has never let me down surprised at the springy comments though …is that the clear? i only use the green

I love GR60 and have total confidence in it.

Steer clear of the GR60x - I found it to be very inconsistent.
Thanks Andy 👍. I may go for the GR80+ in 12lb says it's 0.35mm which if correct is what I'm after as that imo is thick enough to deal with snags. A few anglers rate this with no negative comments as yet? It's a tad pricey though at £19.99! 😬

GR60 has proven itself over nearly two decades now. It’s not the most supple but for barbel fishing that doesn’t matter, apart from GLT Pro-Clear (which is no longer made) I have found anything as strong or abrasion resistant in the same diameter.

Soak it for a few hours before spooling it up make sure it’s coming off the spool in right direction to avoid any twist and you shouldn’t have any issues.

I don't hear or read of many people using Gold Label's Pro Gold. May be something's out there a lot better but it's still on my pins and still pretty good!

EDIT; I don't think it's even made any more! 😂

Last edited:
I don't hear or read of many people using Gold Label's Pro Gold. May be something's out there a lot better but it's still on my pins and still pretty good!

EDIT; I don't think it's even made any more! 😂
Pro Gold was my go to line from 6 - 15lb.

Superb stuff and as you say, now unobtainable.

I used to be friends with TE - I should have found out before he stopped supplying it !

Pro Gold is/was superb line. Still got a stash of the 8 & 10lb. The latter is the best line I've found for tench fishing, superb for casting, good abrasion and sinks well. Real shame it's no longer available.

The lighter strains were good waggler fishing lines as well.

No one ever use Maxima for their Barbel fishing ??

It's my go to line for general feeder fishing and waggler fishing when I need to sink the line.

Whilst I've been using it for the past 15+ years now, no one else on here ever seems to mention Krystonite (12lb/0.31mm). I use it for all my general barbel ledger/feeder work as it's limp, and it's always done what I've asked of it. The only other line I use (for ledger/feeder) is from an old stock of Profish Ghostline (15lb) that I have, when I'm snag fishing. I use it there due to its reported excellent abrasion resistance ... but I'm pretty sure Krystonite would work just as well. In bulk spools it's highly inexpensive too.

I just looked at a review of the Gardner Lines and the GT80+ really does look good. When testing the 0.35mm line (stated 12lb) it broke at 19lb with a palomar knot (which I always use).

Back